iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thought I was ready

Started by lynches lumber, November 06, 2011, 05:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynches lumber

Got every thing put back together on the mill friday and moved it to the saw yard. Started getting everything aligned by following the instructions in the owners manual. As I was using the reference measurements they stated I noticed the measurement indicator on the mill was off. Started reading again. Manual said the indicator would be aligned later in the instructions. OK. Went on with the alignment. After all was done and double checking went to align the indicator and just couldnt get enough adjustment to set it right. So being the rigger that I am, I got the drill out and ligned it up. Now we can saw. After slabbing the log, went to checking things with the ruler. Everthing was right on the money. Sawed a nice beam I needed and some 2x's and checked them with the ruler to just make sure. All was right on the money. Neede some 1x's so I went to sawing. Got down to the bottom pass(1" off the deck) and the bottom of the blade guard hit the clamp. After checking things the only thing I see I can do is go back and raise all the bed rails and reset the indicator.Anyone else had problems using the manual reference measurements with the older mills(95)? I did put a new clamp on it. Dont now if it may sit a little higher or what. Even with this problem it was still great eating sawdust again. The wind was in my face all day so I eat plenty off it. Didnt even have to stop for lunch. Along with realigning the saw I think I might realign its position also. ;D

zopi

My mill is off a bit like this too...need to fix that...with the Lt15 the increments above one inch are fixed..but that bottom one inch has to be set as absolute height above the deck..then everything else is spot on...if the reference is to the bottom of nominal blade set that takes care of kerf on your last cut.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

customsawyer

Was your clamp all the way down?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

lynches lumber

Yea clamp was all the way down. The manual instructions said to start out  at setting the blade at 15" (measured inches), which was all I could get. With the bed rails completley bottomed down, I got 15". Then when you deflect the blade down a 1/4" when setting the  rollers you end up with 14 3/4" ( Unless I read wrong) If I had started out with 14 1/2" I would have been alright.I also wouldnt have had to rig the indicator.

Chuck White

I have a 1995 LT40HDG24.

So, I guess it's the same as your, it has the flipper clamp.

The way they're set up, when you're sawing with an inch of the deck, as you approach the clamp while sawing, you have to move the blade guide roller out around the clamp.

Nothing wrong with it, it's just the way they're made.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WH_Conley

I have the same mill as Chuck except 97. I don't have to move the roller out, the guide arm just wipes the sawdust off the clamp. The bed rails are probably adjusted just a few thousandth's different.
Bill

Chuck White

Quote from: WH_Conley on November 06, 2011, 10:17:09 AM
I have the same mill as Chuck except 97. I don't have to move the roller out, the guide arm just wipes the sawdust off the clamp. The bed rails are probably adjusted just a few thousandth's different.

Hmmm!  Must be because I have the "hi performance" blade guide rollers on my mill!  :-\

Well, I've had all intensions of swapping them out and installing the original style blade guide rollers on the mill this winter.

I will get them the next time I go to WM Hannibal, NY.

I didn't know that but hopefully I'll be sawing a little differently in the Spring!

Lynches Lumber, do you have the Hi-Performance blade guide rollers on your mill?  Could be the problem.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

lynches lumber

Chuck, Ive been around wm mills models from '88 up to 97 and I havent seen one yet that you have to open the clamp to make that last one inch cut.If it was a small narrow board you cutting, I would think that could be a little dangerous.Every wm mill Ive seen just rides over the clamp at one inch. I think its just a matter of going to the trouble of raising all the bedrails up a little and readjusting the measurement indicator.

lynches lumber

Chuck, I have the original style. I dont think that would be the problem tho i havent had any dealings with the hp rollers. When setting up par the owners manual the bed rails are set up without the rollers touching the blade. When you set the rollers you deflect the blade down 1/4".

Chuck White

It sounds like the mill needs a complete alignment, in order for the blade guide roller to clear the clamp.

That's the only thing I can think of that would cause your problem.

The height indicator would need to be adjusted once you get the rest of the alignment done.

lynches lumber

Got back to the mill today and raised all the bedrails up 1/4". Everything is good on the measurements and clears the clamp.  8)

Dave Shepard

Our '08 Super will not clear the clamp on the last cut, I have to move the guide arm out. I think there is an adjustment bolt sticking down on this style guide. The '93 I learned on would clear the manual clamp.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 07, 2011, 07:37:20 PM
Our '08 Super will not clear the clamp on the last cut, I have to move the guide arm out. I think there is an adjustment bolt sticking down on this style guide. The '93 I learned on would clear the manual clamp.

You probably have the Hi-Performance blade guide rollers like I do!

I suppose there are benefits to lots of things, but I'm going back to the originals.

Thank You Sponsors!