iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trees sold by linear foot?

Started by SRM, July 20, 2011, 06:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRM

I was wondering why a gas line company would buy standing timber by the linear foot.  Do they take the
entire tree? how are the trees measured...to first large branch or to the top of the tree?  This is
driving me crazy.  I think my neighbor got $6000.00 for 2000 linear feet of lumber and they are bragging about
the profit.  Wouldn't they have done better to sell by the board foot?  The gas company is coming to my place,
and I don't want to lose too much money for my trees?  Can anyone help explain what is going on.

Ianab

There are many different ways to measure logs.

The various log scales that estimate the bd/ft in logs.

Or by the cord, which is a measure of stacked firewood.

Or by the ton, in which case you weigh the trucks in and out of the pulp mill.

So it depends where the logs are being sold as to how they are measured.

Probably worth talking to a professional forester, even if it costs a few dollars for a quick consult. If the tress on your land are worth more than the gas company is offering, then get them harvested yourself and pocket the extra. If it's better to take their offer, then go with it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

What ever way they scale,it's in thier favor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gunman63

thats 3 bucks a foot, not  bad depending on the tree, is it  junky old  pulp or nice  pine cabin logs, or veneer walnut, ya need to know the kind of wood and log quality

beenthere

Quote from: SRM on July 20, 2011, 06:38:56 AM
I was wondering why a gas line company would buy standing timber by the linear foot.  Do they take the
entire tree? how are the trees measured...to first large branch or to the top of the tree?  This is
driving me crazy.  I think my neighbor got $6000.00 for 2000 linear feet of lumber and they are bragging about
the profit.  Wouldn't they have done better to sell by the board foot?  The gas company is coming to my place,
and I don't want to lose too much money for my trees?  Can anyone help explain what is going on.

"I think my neighbor got $6000.00 for 2000 linear feet of lumber"

Is that what you meant, or meant 2000 linear feet of logs?  
Seems some confusion as to what units to apply to trees, logs, or lumber. Maybe just translation from the neighbor?

But some good explanations have been presented.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frickman

Was it two thousand linear feet of right-of-way?
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Woodboogah

There are to many variables.   Your best bet is to talk to a licensed forester in your area that can point you in the right direction.  Usually logs are sold by bdft.  Maybe they gave him money for 200' of right of way like mentioned.  Hard tellin' not knowin'.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

jcbrotz

In my neck of the woods NEPA they are paying by the linear foot of land and they have  now started to call it per acre Price is the same maybe a little less. They all say they pay you for your trees but funny thing is they pay the same for fields as they do woods. I do know one guy who got payed for his trees and thats only because they cut his woods out and were not suposed to be on him :o, needless to say that was payment to not have to pay a lot more. I affectionetly call it the land of the gasholes,there are 4 pipeline running within 1 mile of the house and there isnt a road the gas companys havent destroyed in the county. OH well the price of progress, On a good not they have not ruined my water :-X yet.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

SwampDonkey

I suppose if it was processed wood, the linear feet was tabulated from the machine's computer. But it seems high unless it was all big wood, 14+ top end.

You sure it wasn't tree length based on tonnage ? Usually a logging contractor has a contract to cut such ROW's and buying based on what you have presented seems a bit whacko.

My suspicion is $6000 for 200 tons of wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

Around here they are paying by the linear foot of right a way, then clearing it and leaving the timber. The land owner can then do what they want with it. Getting paid twice ain't too bad a deal.
Together we got this !

Ron Scott

The landowner needs to be sure that they cut the timber in useable lenghts. ;)
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!