iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

loading logs

Started by MICKEY108, April 07, 2015, 08:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

Is there anyway to load logs with a dozer

pineywoods

Load on to what ? Assuming a trailer, yes, there is an easy way. People have a hangup thinking logs gotta load over the side. Chain one end of the log to the blade and lift that end on to the back of the trailer. Then get behind the other end, lift and push...I used an old massey farm tractor to load logs that way for years..I usually chained the trailer to a tree to keep it stationary, the massey also provided the towing for the trailer...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thurlow

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

beenthere

Have loaded logs onto a trailer helping a friend who had only an 8N Ford with a snow plow.

Lifted the logs with the 3ph, put blocks under the raised end (only three logs).  Backed the trailer up to the ends of the logs, and pushed them on end-wise with the snow blade. Limited to log size and number of logs. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MICKEY108

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

coxy

find a backhoe for it and make a grapple should all most work like a log loader  ;D ;D

tmbrcruiser

A friend of mine's father loaded logs with a small tractor. He put a block and cable on the side of a large tree up high, parked the truck in front of the tree, place poles on about a 45 degree angle down from the side of the truck. Then would hook log tongs to the middle of the log and pull. Dangerous but seemed to work.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

dustintheblood

Don't bring the logs up - bring the trailer down.

Just trench a slope below grade for the trailer to come down so the deck is at ground level and then push the logs on  ;D

Send pics so we know who's bright idea worked!!   :D :D
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

longtime lurker

Either build a ramp or cut a hole. Or ideally use a sidecut on a hill. Sidecuts are the best of both worlds because the dozer can work a bit more level = more power to push with, and digging holes is fine till it rains.

There's a few pics that show how to do it in this tube vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNiBwYoucg0

I actually know/knew some of the people in those pictures... they were old hands when I was just a kid starting out. I guess I'm not 18 anymore :o
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

tantoy

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Thank You Sponsors!