iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted Ash? Video attached

Started by 123maxbars, February 18, 2017, 07:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I sawed up an Ash log yesterday that I forgot about. It was on the ground for just over a year. When I opened it up it appeared to have spalted, looked like ambrosia somewhat. I have attached a video I made of the process that shows the grain of the wood.  Also thought maybe that the ash beetle may cause this pattern? Anyways it was unusual for me at least and I thought I would share with other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iRijTD61tg
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Ron Wenrich

Its been my experience that ash doesn't spalt.  What I think you have is powder post beetle or some other wood borer.  It came in after the log was down.  I have encountered it many times in ash that has laid too long before sawing, especially during the warmer months.  Ash gets powder post beetle pretty easily, compared to other woods.  I've seen ash yards that had a sprinkler systems on their log piles to keep the beetle in check.

The image comes up a 9:21 in the video.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bruno of NH

The big hardwood mill next to my house run sprinkler's all summer
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jjoness4

2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

Remle

Here is a link on the topic of Spalt, put out by the Oregon State University College of Forestry
http://www.northernspalting.com/beginners-guide/

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 18, 2017, 08:20:58 AM
Its been my experience that ash doesn't spalt.  What I think you have is powder post beetle or some other wood borer.  It came in after the log was down.  I have encountered it many times in ash that has laid too long before sawing, especially during the warmer months.  Ash gets powder post beetle pretty easily, compared to other woods.  I've seen ash yards that had a sprinkler systems on their log piles to keep the beetle in check.

The image comes up a 9:21 in the video.

Go to google and type in spalted ash and then click on images.
You will see some very very nice spalted ash.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

brianb88

Nice production. I always enjoy your videos
Measure twice, cut once

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 18, 2017, 03:21:17 PM
Go to google and type in spalted ash and then click on images.
You will see some very very nice spalted ash.

I still say that the video is bug damage and not spalt.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If I ever win a debarker in a contest, I will give it to you.  :D Another good video.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Definitely a wood borer beetle at the point that Ron mentions, but I think that the tunnels are too large for powderpost beetles.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

123maxbars

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 18, 2017, 08:37:55 PM
If I ever win a debarker in a contest, I will give it to you.  :D Another good video.

Thanks bud, let me know when you enter and I will be sure to push for your victory!!
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: WDH on February 18, 2017, 08:43:33 PM
Definitely a wood borer beetle at the point that Ron mentions, but I think that the tunnels are too large for powderpost beetles.

That was my thoughts after more research, Thanks Danny!
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!