iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skiddable carport? And woodrack?

Started by Satamax, September 21, 2016, 08:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, i'm not coming over this side of the forum much anymore.

I have a few questions for you guys. Due to my will to not comply with french law. To avoid taxes. I would like to build myself two carports, which would be leaning against the house, have flat roofs. And double as a terrace. The thing is. They have to be "mobile" so i don't have to do planning permission etc!

I can move these with my crane pictured below. 

I can lift 8.8 metric tons close. Let say 3 tons with the white arm extended all the way. So that would lift it.

I would like an end result with this kind of look. Tho, with more posts.

Do i need to make skids bellow, to keep the posts stout. Or just braces up top could do the job?

Also guys. If ever you see good pictures of covered skiddable firewood racks. I'd be interested in seing these. I can move them with the crane again.

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Larch

I enjoy your comments and your pictures. 

I like to build stuff I can move also.  I don't think you would need skids if you brace it well.  You could also scab extra braces on when you want to move it, just to be sure. 

I like to buy used mobile home axles and cut off the axles at the hubs and weld them onto post bottom brackets.  Then I make mortises in all four posts about four feet off the ground so I can put a metal bar between the posts and lift the structure and roll it.  Then when I have it where I want it I put the posts on blocks so it's not resting on the tires. 

One thing about having wheels attached to your frames, nobody is going to argue that it's a permanent structure. 

Then again I don't live on a  sloped site like you.  It would be unfortunate to wake up one morning and find your porch at the bottom of the ravine. 

Either way I think you can get away without skids.  I would only use skids if it absolutely had to be dragged.  And even then you could always place skids under it for the occasion. 

Satamax

Thanks a lot Larch.

It's funny, you use this as a nickname. I work mostly with larch, as there's plenty of larch where i live. I thought in the us, it was mostly called tamarack.

Anyway. I need a pretty strong structure, that i can move any time.

Originally i wanted to make it out of metal, as a gantry crane, like you see on ports for lifting containers. I even found the  hydraulic hubs cheap. On something a bit like a grape harvester. But that one was long gone when i called the seller.

My land hasn't got that much of incline. I have may be 3 or 4 ft from one side to the other. I only have a tiny plot. 7500sqft approximately.

You can see in this photo, how the building is.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Stuart Caruk

Years ago I built my first shed out of 2" welded tubing sheeted with metal siding. At the corners of the open end I mounted a wheel on either side. At the center of the rear of the shed I mounted a trailer hitch ball. I used to use my bobcat with a trailer mover to pick up the back end, wheel the entire thing backwards, unload big machines right off the truck with a 10 ton crane, then wheel the shed back into place to overhaul the equipment. I still have it, although it rarely gets moved anymore.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!