iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

router bit working way out of collet

Started by Dan_Shade, November 28, 2009, 08:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I was cutting some grooves this evening with a spiral router bit, and it walked out of the collet twice.  The second time, i had it really tight (I thought).  I'm using the router in a router table.

I was cutting  1/4" depth by 3/8" wide, in one pass in white oak.  it was cutting good, then would start to chatter, and start working up.

Any tricks to this?  or is this common?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

John Bartley

The most common reason for a bit to loosen is because it was pushed to the bottom of the socket before it was tightened. Collets work by tightening a tapered outer sleeve around a bit and pushing the bit "down" into the socket. If the bit is bottomed out before tightening happens then it has no where to go and cannot be properly tightened. Even if you lift the bit by as little as a 1/32" above the bottom of the collet, it will have room to sink into the housing as it tightens.

There are other reasons also, but this is the most common one.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Dan_Shade

I thought that may have been the problem the first time, so the second time, i lifted it up a little bit.  Maybe I didn't go high enough?

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DouginUtah

Is it a Craftsman router? This has been a common complaint of their routers.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Dan_Shade

Jasperfield

logwalker

Take your collet out and clean it really well.
Especially in the gaps between the shoulders. That is a start, anyway.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

LeeB

Check a different bit and see if it is the bit. If so ditch the bit. A flying bitt can do fatal damage. If the new bit does the same I suspect rust or trash in the collet.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

low_48

1/4" or 1/2" shank? Spiral, by their nature, should come out easier if all is not well. The up cut spiral will try and lift the bit out of the collet. It could be the age of the collet. They can wear into an hour glass shape with lots of use, and not keep a good grip. In fact that will cause more vibration and loosen much quicker. I don't think your cut was excessive, as long as you weren't feeding too fast.

zopi

might take a very fine grained sandpaper and rough the shank up a bit..and roll it tightly and rough the inside of the collet up just a TINY bit...the tolerance on some collets is a bit close...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

it's a new bit.

I'll check the collet closely today, and also measure the bit diameter.  it's a 1/2", but I'm wondering if there is a manufacturing defect.

Radar67

Quote from: logwalker on November 28, 2009, 11:37:51 PM
Take your collet out and clean it really well.
Especially in the gaps between the shoulders.

Had this happen once before and it was sawdust in the gaps of the collet.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Larry

I bought a new Hitachi almost two years ago mail order.  I was quite disappointed to see "Made in China" on it.  I was amazed when I saw the collet nut...it was square!  So a manufacturing defect or lack of quality is in the realm of possibility.  I might try roughing up the collet a bit as zopi suggested...as a last resort.

To be fair the router has been excellent.  I've been using it with a pattern bit to cut window/door holes in my house through 7/16 osb...as fast as I can push it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

treecyclers

I would check the following:
1) Use some cleaner (I like Simple Green) to ensure that the shank is very clean.
2) Take the collet apart, and clean it real well too.
3) As the collet is drying, double check the threads to ensure they're clean and sound.
4) Using 600 grit or finer sandpaper, rough up the shank on the bit in a pattern similar to honing an engine cylinder - crossing twist diagonally around the shank.
5) put a cabinet door bumper ball in the space between the bit and the shaft, inside the collet - they have almost no mass, won't affect the rotation of the shaft, and prevents the bit from being jammed up into the collet completely, avoiding bit walk.
6) IF all of the above fail to accomplish the objective, Ebay that router, and get a Porter Cable.
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

D Hagens

I agree with the comment on Craftsman, seems to be a big problem with them.

I would chuck the collet and buy a new one. That or repair it and buy some good safety glasses....hmmm.....what would be cheaper?

I've had a few blow up on me, need a very good feeling thinking about a bit hitting my eye.

DR Buck

Dan,

You like to weld.  Weld the bit in.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

tomsteve

Quote from: Larry on November 29, 2009, 01:02:39 PM
I bought a new Hitachi almost two years ago mail order.  I was quite disappointed to see "Made in China" on it. 
  uuuuuuhhhh. notice the name? maybe shoulda been made in mexico???? ;D

Thank You Sponsors!