iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lunch in the Woods

Started by Gary_C, October 21, 2009, 02:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Actually Jim, a cayman and an alligator are different beasties, though pretty closely related.  We are fortunate to only have alligators up here.  They are relatively gentle creatures who rarely attack and eat anything larger than a full-grown hog.  The biggest they usually get is about 16 feet long and half a ton or so.  Being primarily an aquatic animal, they can only run about 40 mph on dry land, so we don't worry about them too much. ::) ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Engineer

Best lunch in the woods is either a peanut butter & banana sandwich or a large chunk of yesterday's cold roast beef, or a couple cold fried chicken parts, a can of Mountain Dew and a quart of water.  I'll bring a banana anyway if I bring meat too.  A chunk of cheese is OK too.  I try to stay low on the salt 'cause all I wanna do is drink all the time, and when you're sweating hard, you NEED to drink anyway.  If you feel thirsty, you waited too long.  I can easily drink a couple gallons of water (not too cold) on a busy day.  I don't care for a hot lunch in the field. 

Stan snider

I've eaten many a can of chili beans and canned tamalies heated  by setting them on the exhaust manifold of a Cummins.   Lean them against the head close to the turbo of a Cummins and they will warm all the way through.  Open a vent first to keep the pressure down.  Cans carried any distance wont have a label left so its always an adventure to open one :D  Oilfield hauling and farming makes you do desperate things cause Quicktrip aint just around the corner! :D

CHARLIE

Tom says: "when I was sawing on the road, I kept a bunch of cans of vegetables in the truck, along with an opener and a spoon.  I had corn niblets, green beans, stewed tomatoes, and whatever other store-brand vegetable I could find.  Usually one can made a pretty good lunch."

Charlie says: That ain't the truth. One can does not make a pretty good lunch!  Works a man like a dog in 105° heat and no shade and throw him a can of peas and no spoon. Sheeeeeesh!

Once, when I worked for the railroad, I was running a local on the branch line to Belle Glade. I was condutor of the cane train and worked from Canal Point to Lake Harbor and back for 12 trips per loooong day.  I had an old engineer that had a metal lunch box. The kind that has a rounded top so the thermos can fit inside the lid.  Me and my crew climbed into the engine to ride to the next stop and he proudly announced that he had put his lunchbox on top of the big engine's exhaust manifold to heat his lunch up.  Well, when it was time for lunch, we stopped the engine (we got 20 minutes  from the time the engine stopped) and he proudly went outside the cab, opened the door to the engine and had a heck of a time getting his lunch box because it was so hot.  The plastic handle had melted down over the lid. It finally cooled down enough that he could open it and look down into it at his lunch's charred remains.  We all gave him some of our lunches.  As far as I know, he never did that again.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!