Previous topic - Next topic

graydawn

has anyone deep fried whole ears of corn

Mooseherder

sandhills

Never heard of it but like Mooseherder said, now I'm gonna have to try it  ;D

Magicman

Yes, use a very, very light batter.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pappy19

and let it cool for about 5 minutes, otherwise you'll get burnt.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

21incher

Wouldn't it become popcorn while frying ? :-\
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

You are frying fresh corn on a cob instead of boiling it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

I was going to try it a couple ways tonight with some batter called Lefty's.
First was going to batter it and then boil it in water.  If that didn't work well I was going to batter some more and fry them in oil.  When I went looking for the fry kettle my wife informed me she had thrown it away because it had metal coming off of it.  Instead I wrapped them in foil and cooked them on the grill.  They were good that way and probably a whole lot better for you.
Can't wait to try it though. ;)

Raider Bill

I like to fry canned corn in a frying pan with a touch of garlic, maybe some sliced onions and or tomatoes. Gives it a whole different taste.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 19, 2014, 10:02:45 AM
I like to fry canned corn in a frying pan with a touch of garlic, maybe some sliced onions and or tomatoes. Gives it a whole different taste.
Anything you can do to give canned corn a whole different taste is worth it in my books  ;)

luvmexfood

Sorry guys. Think I will have to pass on the deep fried corn. But I have had fresh corn cut off the cob and fried. It was pretty good.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Magicman

Pat always mixes a can of cut and a can of creamed corn together.  Of course whatever she does in the kitchen is fine with me 'cause that lady knows how to make a meal.   food6

Mooseherder

You can try using the creamed corn as the batter.  ;)

goose63

I never thought of that but now I am gona try it 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Mooseherder

Worse thing that could happen is discarding an ear or so of Corn.
We'll be needing some pictures of course.

Magicman

I don't see how that could work.  Batter normally has flour to make it sticky.

Mooseherder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just eat it hush.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

graydawn

i tried it last night it was really good no batter 375 for 15 min

LeeB

Take it off the cob, throw in some onions, green peppers, season to taste and pan fry with a little butter or olive oil 'til just starting to brown. It is quite good. Works even better with corn that has started to get a little dried out. Next time you forget some in the veggy tray, don't toss it just because its not still nice and plump.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

36 coupe

Old topic but I hate to see sweet corn ruined by frying in deep grease or dried up and fried.Sweet corn sugar turns to starch when the ear is picked.Its a waste of time putting corn in the fridge.Corn has to be used the same day it is picked.The sugar will be gone next day.Boiling sweet corn ruins it.Corn should steamed for 8 or 10 minutes.Steaming keeps it out of the water.The best sweet corn is done on a charcoal barbeque.10 minutes with the husk on.I see people picking over sweet corn in the grocery store.If the corn is over a day old the sugar is gone.You have to grow your own corn or buy it from a stand that picks a small amount at one time.Corn held over from yesterday is good cow and hen feed.

Raider Bill

We have fried corn several times a month and love it. Of course there's nothing better than fresh picked and roasted on grill but that simply is not a option most times.

Mooseherder

I still haven't bought a Deep Fryer to replace my old one. :-\

Raider Bill

I'm more of a fried in a frying pan like LeeB does type of guy. :)

Throw in some fresh garlic, tomato and sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese on top.
Serve with mashed potatoes, fresh baked bread and a side of 20oz rib eye.

Thank You Sponsors!