iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

who this man with the big chopper upperer

Started by iain, May 26, 2005, 02:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

Just got a new (to me) book anyone know who it is?

Dan_Shade

will malloof, that book has a lot of good info in it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

iain

Its stuffed with good info
along with a good mind set
and advertising pipe smoking

iain

Dan_Shade

the pipe smoking while running a chainsaw mill is a bit amusing.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

OneWithWood

Did Will Malloof play John Steed in the TV series the Avengers?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

mike_van

Pattrick McNee played John Steed, Dianna Rigg was Emma Peel.  [my favorite]
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

johncinquo

So what did you pay for the book out of curiosity?  I have been told it is over $125 now. 

I have 2!  And another called Barnacle Parps chainsaws and sawing.  Both are out of print in a big way.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Weekend_Sawyer

Is that book "Chainsaw Lumbermaking"? or did he write another.
I too have a copy, I made about 100bf and went out and bought a bandsaw mill! ;D

I beleive that's a Stihl 90 he's running.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stan

Yep, old Will was on tough fellar.  ::) I payed just under $100 for a copy of that book just over a year ago.  8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

iain

Not paid anything for it, its on loan from a friend,
good reading

iain

Gilman

Notice he doesn't have the sprocket cover on that saw?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

iain

Nope, he says that when the saw is on its side, and up to the log it dont clear dust and chips very well, and the extra heat build up leads to extra clutch failure,
this is true, but i've not run mine with a cut down cover, dont think i will

iain

Brucer

I bought Will's book when it was first published -- that's what got me into chainsaw lumbermaking. It took me a few thousand BF (and 20 years) to finally get a bandmill (slow learner,  eh?). I followed most of Will's suggestions but I really didn't want to go hacking up the sprocket cover. So I drilled a couple of holes in a piece of 1/2" x 3/4" steel and made a clamp to hold the bar on without using the cover. That worked great for sawmilling, and left me with a safe cover for regular sawing.

Got Barnacle Parp's Chainsaw Guide as well. Scared the heck out of me. I discovered I'd been cutting down trees for three years without having a clue how to do it properly. I'm still amazed I didn't drop a tree on me (did manage to drop one on the saw, however :()
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

rbarshaw

And here from the post tytle I thought I would be seeing Paul Bunyon. :D
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Stan

Quote from: Brucer on May 31, 2005, 01:40:05 AM
IGot Barnacle Parp's Chainsaw Guide as well. Scared the heck out of me. I discovered I'd been cutting down trees for three years without having a clue how to do it properly. I'm still amazed I didn't drop a tree on me (did manage to drop one on the saw, however :()

I dropped one on my log splitter which I thought was 180 degrees from the place the danged tree'd fall.  smiley_swinging_board
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

rbarshaw

I dropped one on my tractor once. I was cutting on the tree and realized the tractor was inline with the intended fall, so I moved it to a different spot and out of range of the tree. Well that tree grew 30' while it was falling right at the tractor, just did a little cosmetic damage, but I learned to never trust a tree again!
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

sawguy21

Feller I worked with dropped one across a Jet Ranger tailboom. He forgot about the onshore wind. They were working on the Ungava peninsula in northern Quebec and it was almost two weeks before they  got the word out to order a replacement.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!