iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some ideas for square cutting 6x6's

Started by Redhorseshoe, November 29, 2020, 09:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhorseshoe

I mentioned in another thread I cut a lot of 6x6 fence posts.  I need a better way to trim the ends square than a chainsaw.  It takes forever and isn't as neat as I'd like.  I saw another guy with a chop saw that uses like a 20" blade and works really well.  I don't even know what that knid of saw is called though.  I'm thinking of maybe modifying an old buzz saw but don't like how dangerous they seem.  Any ideas how to speed and tidy up this process?

Southside

A jump saw would do what you need and do it very well, guess it depends on how many you need to cut to verify the investment. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

miro

That 20 in blade sounds too violent and would need a large power plant of some sort.
How about a swinging chainsaw jig. The pivot is fabbed onto the bar with a "saw table" to hold the 6x6's square to the bar.
Since it's only cutting 6x6's , an electric chainsaw might be quieter and easier to manage.
I assume that you are cutting softwoods - don't think anyone wants walnut or maple fence posts

Don P

Hitachi makes or made a 15" miter saw, not sure if that would make it through. A Makita 16" skillsaw will do 6-1/4". A chainsaw paper cutter type jig on a roller table with a fence would give square cuts but a little rough.

Old Greenhorn

Look into the makita timber saw, better yet do a search here on the forum. There is another saw similar to it that some folks really like but I can't recall the name. There have been several discussions on them here. That makita, I can tell you cuts off 6x10 hardwood beams with a beautiful finish. I love the thing.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Larry

I bought an old Dewalt ras at auction for $85.  It was a GE model and would swing a 16" blade but I heard they could be fitted with a 20" blade that had a 6" depth of cut.  I restored the saw and sold it to a pallet shop because it took up too much space in my shop.

I was in an Amish shop long time ago that had one like I just described.  They had modified it with a hydraulic feed so one didn't have to pull the saw.  Lumber was fed on live roller tables.  The operator set on a stool and operated a couple of hydraulic controls.  They were using it to defect wood flooring.  It was cheap, fast, and efficient.

If ya have the coin a new Original ras should easily handle the chore.

https://www.elitemetaltools.com/tool-shop/products/original-saw-company-20-super-duty-radial-arm-saw-3553?sku=3553

Old swing saws are around that would also do the job.....dangerous but I suppose one could safeguard it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

I worked in a couple of shops that had the big deWalt, I like the idea of hydraulics or even a damper on it. They always felt like people eaters.

Redhorseshoe

What I'd like is a stationary saw on a table with length marks/stops.  Slide the post up, square one end, slide a bit more, trim to length.  I've also been contemplating the chainsaw jig with a battery chainsaw.

TimW

Square top fence posts?  Down here we cut cedar posts on an angle to help water run off faster.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

mike_belben

I angle cut posts too.. They rot a dish in the center otherwise.  

A prazi beamcutter attachment on a wormdrive cicular saw, or a chainsaw chopsaw will do it.  The chopsaw will be much faster than the prazi.  You can drill a hole in the bar with carbide on a drillpress.  About 2 minutes at a machine shop. 

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

A cheap chinese metal cutting horizontal bandsaw with a wood blade will also do fine and leave a perfect finish.  Blip the corners with a palm sander if needed. 

Praise The Lord

Don P

Mikes chainsaw is what I was thinking. 
Check out the pic of these swinging sawstops, you can put as many as you need along the bar and set them to your cut lengths. Roll along till you get to the one you need , push an and up to the stop, the others swing out of the way.
Tables for Whirlwind Saws (whirlwindparts.com)

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Did anybody mention the old swing saw? That's the only way I have seen it done.

Larry

Quote from: Larry on November 29, 2020, 10:28:32 PMOld swing saws are around that would also do the job.....dangerous but I suppose one could safeguard it.
Those things scare us bandmill sawyers! :D

I have seen lots of them in circle mills.  You got one?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!