iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chop-saw (for metal) advice needed

Started by GDinMaine, February 19, 2019, 09:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom King

For use with that little bandsaw, I paid more for this work stand than I did for the bandsaw, but in the shop with the bit uneven floor it was worth it.  The cheaper roller stands were aggravating holding a piece just right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001LQXLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

That crank is not an up/down adjustment but it does help.  The post coming down from the top is tapered.  You can set it a little high to start with, back that crank off a bit and let it lower, then tighten to hold the spot.  I use aluminum concrete screeds to set the height like I want it.

The price of those varies up and down.  I've never seen it as high as in that link today.

Hilltop366

I have seen one small shop that instead of a stand he had some barn door track and trolley on the ceiling with some chain hanging on it with a steel ring on the end. As you cut pieces you just slide the work towards the saw and the holder came with it on the track and the steel is captured in the ring so it can't fall off.

I don't recall how it adjusted for height but because it is a round ring the wider the steel the higher it sits in the ring unless it is pipe or round stock so some adjustment is required. A turn bucket in the chain would work for fine adjusting the height.

He could hook the chain on the wall out of the way when not needed so it did not take any floor space.

Crusarius

thats a great idea with the ceiling loop. not hard to make a ceiling hook that is squarea could also use a chainfall with a strap. Quick easy adjust.

Walnut Beast

The Evo dry cut blades will fit in some other makes of chop saws so check your model numbers when you just look at the blades on their site

Hilltop366

Been a long time since I used a chainfall, does it have positive stops or do they stop were ever you want?

Tom King

Stops when you quit pulling on either side of the control loop.

I had never heard them called chainfalls before the internet.  I have only otherwise always heard them called "chain hoists".

That track system would be worth it if I built something all the time with metal, but I only build something once in a while to fill a special need.

Hilltop366

They do have a ratchet mechanism in them, so I was wondering if they will stop and stay anywhere or will the turn back to the last spot on the ratchet?

Perhaps a triangle shape on the end of the chain would work better than a circle? 

gspren

You wouldn't need a lot of adjustment range so a simple turnbuckle hanging on a chain would be cheap and provide fine adjustments.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

kelLOGg

My metal-cutting band saw looks like Tom King's. KT Industrial Tools out of Taiwan which I have had since the mid 70s.

My chop saw is a Milwaukee and was given to me by a friend who found it in a dumpster. I use it less than my band saw and for cutting through welds.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Crusarius

chainfall, or chainhoist would work great with infinite quick adjust. a triangle or square shape hook on end to support material would be great. would also work great for long boards on the chopsaw.

Since I have the bandsaw I would rarely use an abrasive saw because of the sparks and the lack of life of those blades. If I can't cut it in the bandsaw, I either use the plasma cutter or grinder with cutoff wheels. I do have a metal cutting chopsaw just like my sliding compound miter saw that works good but it showers the entire area in blue hot chip. Including the user. So I tend to stay away from that one unless it is my only option.

21incher

I have that same bandsaw by Jet but never could get perfect cuts with how poorly the guides adjust and having to deal with blade lube. Haven't used it since getting the cold cut saw. I could never go back to using it after experiencing the difference and simple blade changes for aluminum.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

barbender

I have that same Jet and it has been great for me🤷‍♂️ I rarely use cutting oil.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Hilltop366 on December 23, 2022, 10:01:54 PM
They do have a ratchet mechanism in them, so I was wondering if they will stop and stay anywhere or will the turn back to the last spot on the ratchet?

Perhaps a triangle shape on the end of the chain would work better than a circle?
I have one. Tom is exactly right they stop. You pull the chain one way for up and the other way for down. The slick setup like I had in my old shop was a big I beam with a trolley to go side to side and your chain hoist to go up and down. It's a game changer

230Dforme

Good evening
Owned a a steel fabrication and erecting business for 33 years, $ 1,000,000 jobs, minimal equipment, 
but well paid employees 
Abrasive saw for years, foreman bought a cold saw one day, wish he bought it sooner
Retired now, but I have the cold saw here, no comparison to abrasive and worth the extra money
Ease into the cut at first 

Thank You Sponsors!