iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fuel tank

Started by coxy, March 10, 2017, 03:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

I need to clean out the tank in my 518 cat skidder got a bad batch of fuel or someone gave me a bad batch if you know what I mean   been putting 2-3 filters a day on it for the past 4 weekends (that's the only time I run it in the winter is weekends ) and it getting old and expensive    would have thought the filters would have got it all by know but it hasn't     if I drill a hole then take a saws all and cut a hole  I should have no trouble welding it back up as in it shouldn't go booom right :D  would a gas cutoff saw make it go booom by cutting a hole in it :-\      if by chance its the tank that's all rust in side how would one clean it out    buying another tank is out of the question in less someone on here wants to float me a loan to get a new one  :D :)

Gearbox

Coxy Is there a chance you got Bio diesel . When MN went to mandatory Bio added diesel we went through fuel filters like crazy for at least a month . Bio will clean all crud out of the tank and put it right in the filters .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

coxy

its not suppose to be and aren't they suppose to tell you if it was  the skidder is the only thing I'm having trouble with it looks like really fine rust/mud 

Neilo

A diesel tank won't explode. Might catch fire inside.

Ox

Might be some of that algae that grows in the water that's between the diesel molecules.  Had some on the farm - it looks like black slimy stuff and plugs filters like a sonuvagun.  Gotta drain that tank pronto, unfortunately.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

snowstorm

If it's got rust inside buy a couple magnets put them on a wire so you can pull them out to clean them. I went thorough this with a cat excavator. It cured it

luvmexfood

We used to buy fuel in a metal 55 gallon barrel. Injector pump went down on the tractor and come to find out there was real fine rust in that barrel. Got by two filters on the tractor to the injector pump. Found it by putting some fuel in a glass jar an you could see it.

Didn't have a pump for the barrel and you had to siphon into a 5 gallon can and fill the tractor. Hated getting that fuel in my mouth first thing of a morning. Had a diesel taste in your mouth all day.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

coxy

Quote from: snowstorm on March 10, 2017, 05:21:32 PM
If it's got rust inside buy a couple magnets put them on a wire so you can pull them out to clean them. I went thorough this with a cat excavator. It cured it
that's a darn good idea never thought of that    thanks

BargeMonkey

You have the tank out or its pretty easy to pull ? I honestly wouldn't cut a hole in the tank, weld a 3/8-1/2 pipe coupling somewhere on the tank where you can get to it, drill a hole thru the coupling and then your able to drain it / wash it out in the future. Don't know if that will work for what your doing but that's what we have done in the past. Diesel fuel is a grade D cargo, over 100 and listed as a combustible, but hot enough it's going to burn, the trick with shady hot work on a tank is to be either above or below the UEL-LEL. I would rather weld on a FULL tank that can't breathe than an empty tank that's vented but if you've got the tank out on the ground I would just fill it full of water and dump a couple times and then weld and drill.

Catenaut

we went through something similar with our old forwarder, when I say old I mean massey-ferguson old, but anyway experience has been that BargeMonkey is correct, its best to take the time and get the tank off and flush it.

luvmexfood

If you do decide to cut it leave a little piece of metal as a hinge. Makes it easier to hold in place when you weld back up. Did that on an old truck one time with a stopped up catalyic converter. I didn't need a real big hole so took a hole saw with the bit out of it. After I got it started sort of angled the drill till I was through it most of the way around. Bent my flap down. Gutted it and welded back up.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

jwilly3879

I siphoned the fuel out of ours and then used a shop vac with a piece of 3/4" pex duct taped to the hose to suck the crud out. Got about gallon of rust, sludge, sticks and  other crap out of the bottom. Be ready to replace the foam filter after.

newoodguy78

If you end up taking it out there is a product available that you can put inside to "reline" it so to speak. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it sorry  ???. You pour it in as a liquid and slosh it around until the entire inside is coated.
I was tipped off to it by an antique engine buff. I was abit skeptical at first but the results of it proved me otherwise.It was money well spent in my opinion and was relatively cheap.
I also sent one (gas tank) to a place near Albany Ny.that cleaned and relined it was a leaky rusted mess when it left and came back like new for a fraction of the cost of a new one. My girlfriend at the time drove that truck for 5 years after that with absolutely no issues. Good luck

coxy

sounds like the same stuff we use to use in the old artic cat snowmobile and atv gas tanks it was expensive 25 years ago to do a 5gal tank wonder how much it is to do a 50gal tank  :)

s grinder

Does the tank have a sump or a drain plug?If the tank is removable, i've had very good luck removing the tank and steam cleaning the heck out of it with the drain plugs out.If it doesn't have a drain plug,that would be the time to use a hole saw cut out and weld a bung on the lowest accesable point of the tank.Seeing that your using steam the tank gets hot and dries out with no moisture i it.

snowstorm

Ford coated the inside of the steel tanks in there diesel trucks. Goggle it and you will see how bad it turned out

Thank You Sponsors!