iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back to part time sawing

Started by Patrick NC, March 19, 2021, 05:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

As some of you may know, I was kind of forced into full time Sawmilling several weeks ago when I got laid off from my job. Well they called me 2 weeks ago and said they were ready for me to come back. I said I wasn't ready yet, but I'd let them know something in a couple weeks. Got another call today saying if I'd come back on Monday I'd get a 15% raise. That's pretty hard to turn down so I guess I'll be a weekend Sawyer again. I've been doing pretty good, but I'd like to pay off some debt and be in a little better place financially before I commit to being self employed. I'm thinking about 3 more years and I should be there. It will also give me a chance to do some hydraulic upgrades to my mill and acquire a couple more pieces of equipment that I need to be efficient. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Old Greenhorn

Good for you man! There is also that pesky "health insurance thing" that gets taken care of when you work for the man. That was always a kicker for me.
 You are lucky, that 15% will come in handy. My old company would have called and said either you come back on Monday, or you are laid off permanently and don't come back at all.
 Some security has to mean something too.
 Take your time, you will know when it is 'right' for you. :) ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

moodnacreek

That's pretty good, hard to get good help and they know it.

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations Patrick. I hope it all works out for the best. At least now you can negotiate better at work if the need arises.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

That's a better raise than  I gave myself...... :) Congratulations.

donbj

With a good job it's an opportunity to get out of debt, get set up for when you do decide to take that step. Make a plan.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Resonator

QuoteI've been doing pretty good, but I'd like to pay off some debt and be in a little better place financially before I commit to being self employed.
Wise move. I've learned the hard way being self employed can be an irregular income, what money you can squirrel away now is peace of mind. Also good to have some set aside for when machines need to be repaired.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Patrick NC

15% is $250 a week before taxes. I'm going to take that and apply it towards paying off some debt. They thought they could just lay off all the salaried employees during the rainy season and we'd all just come running back when they called. They quickly found out that wasn't the case. One other good thing that came out of it was I found out that my mill could make enough money that I didn't have to use any of my savings. I think it was a good test run for when I do decide to go full time. I quickly found out what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Crossroads

Good for you, I'm glad it's working out in a way that fits your comfort level. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Walnut Beast

Good deal 👍. A friend of mine did a similar situation . He runs a store and has really good sales and they offered him a equity package he didn't like so he said forget it then he told them what he should get and nothing ever came of it until this warmer weather and sales are way up. They ended up giving him what he asked for. 

Thank You Sponsors!