iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine for siding

Started by woodweasel, February 13, 2022, 07:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

Fitting  out a container  to become a weekend rental. Have about 25 pine logs that I am cutting into 1/2" x6" x10' boards.I spray each board with bora guard as it comes off the mill. I plan on putting it in my KD150 kiln for 4-5 days.Any problems putting  it inside  the container for walls? It won't be completely dry because of time constraints. Looking for a rustic look so I'm ok with some movement. 

Magicman

The movement should not be a problem since you are making allowances for it, but some moisture accumulation may be an issue.  I would strongly suggest adding a dehumidifier.  Drain it to the outside or empty the "bucket" when it fills. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodweasel

Are you saying the dehumidifier in the kiln are in the container?

wkf94025

My answer would be both, but I think he meant the rental box.
Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

Mapleman

I'd also recommend putting something like black tar paper on the wall behind the pine boards so if or when the boards shrink, there's something behind them besides the wall of the container or the studs or the insulation showing through.  
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

WV Sawmiller

Either the tar paper or put them up vertically and add battens. My son put similar sized WO up in his basement. Put it up green and he has a good half inch or more gap between each with concrete showing behind. He has suggested me cutting some 1/16" - 1/8" veneer and stapling or using wire brads to cover. I think it would have looked better with a solid black or white backing or if vertical. 

Interesting concept BTW and I hope it works well for you. Are you using 20' or 40' containers? I lived in them in Iraq and Afghanistan. Best was one half a 40' container. Had a 4' X 8' bathroom with shower on one end and 8' X 16' living quarters on the other. Last was half a 20' so was 8' X 10' with no bathroom. It was still better than sharing a big circus tent with dozens to hundreds of other guys.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: woodweasel on February 13, 2022, 10:27:21 AMAre you saying the dehumidifier in the kiln are in the container?
Yes, I was referring to the container.  Since it sounded like the lumber will not be 'completely' dry a dehumidifier will remove the released moisture from the air.

I always have a dehumidifier running at my cabin to remove moisture and prevent mildew and the 'stuffy' smell.  It is set at ~50%.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodweasel

Thanks gentlemen.  Its a 40'er

woodweasel

Will try to upload some pic's 

Thank You Sponsors!