iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John deere combine power unit

Started by Brian day, March 31, 2022, 10:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian day

I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience in converting john deere combine engine to a power unit.

moodnacreek

If it has a radiator and a skid it already is. If it has a clutch you have it made.

reride82

Most of the older combines had the engine, clutch, radiator, and hydraulics mounted to a skid. I've used the power unit out of an International combine for a Belsaw and I have a Perkins 6-354 out of a Massey Ferguson combine for my next project. What questions do you have?

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

farmfromkansas

I have an old International combine that ran when I parked it. Has a 6 cylinder gas engine. And a clutch and pulley. Early 60's
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

chet

I replaced the diesel that spun a main in my 2010 John Deere crawler with a skid unit. It was a 165HA-G that I was told originally belonged on a JD 40 peanut combine. In my case I had to change the fly wheel, governor and linkage, clutch, and starter. I also had to rework the water pump, water manifold, and air filter assembly to fit the crawler installation. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

mike_belben

Old arc welders are basically a power unit with a generator and welder attached if you have room to add some sheaves and run belts out.  Idler pulley can serve as a belt clutch for easy starts.  

Or get a wrecked/rotted cherokee 4.0 or ford straight 6, cut it in half and set on dunnage.  Every town USA has 5 dealers competing to sell you the maintenance parts cheapest.
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Back in the day I put a 223 ford 6 on a Bellsaw. Got a Peirse governor from Central tractor and put a small Holly carb off a Rambler on it. We could saw all day on 6 gallons of gas. I miss that

Thank You Sponsors!