iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

eco log harvester

Started by sshier, December 03, 2014, 11:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sshier

Wondering if anyone has any opinions on eco log harvesters they look pretty functional. How are they  in the woods how about parts I'm in thumb of MI so not a lot of opportunities to see them run. Only handfull of processor's in our area there mostly running deere or ponsse. We cut mostly hardwood low grade for logs and pulp. Thanks for any input

snowstorm

the cat salesman told me to stay away from the one branded cat

MT logger

I ran the Cat 580 for a few months. Great idea just didn't work well.

Maine372

never been in the seat, but never heard anything good from the guys that were.

sshier

What's the problems just poor design? Does cat carry parts we'll probably go with a 1270 or 703 but that independent suspension does look like a really good idea. Thanks for the replies

Maine372

the operators didn't like that they had to chase the leveling all the time. one more thing to think about in a job that's already brain intensive. also had problems with slew bearings. to handle the wood they were running logmax7000 heads and they were too big for the machine to handle.

lots of other little headaches.

we got our parts from cat.

sshier

Ok I guess I assumed the leveling was auto with an overide for stumps and such think I'll be stay away but MI cat does have pretty good customer support parts are usually next day if Kalkaska has them in stock.

snowstorm

this is what i was told about them. the eco log that says cat on it is a lot different than the eco log. cat was going to buy eco log then backed out. so if it says cat on it the parts would have to come from sweden because we do not stock any. this is from the cat dealer. the eco log dealer in new Brunswick said the same thing

1270d

I've hears the same as snowstorm.  The cat branded eco logs a supposed to be tough to get parts for.   There was a company at Logging Congress, ATL I think.  They had the eco log on display, and I believe they were from Michigan or Wisconsin.

1270d

http://www.atleqp.com.   out of Rhinelander WI

MT logger

Cat bought a company in Sweden called Scogg something made ctl and failed. Log max bought the company from Cat and renamed it eco log a big improvement is the logmax head.

snowstorm

and komatsu now owns log max

lumbertick

We have a fabtek 133 with the 4 roller and does Awsome in the hardwood.. We also just got a 1270 with the waratah head on it.. They clame it will cut hardwood just fine to

sshier

Friend of mine is running a 1470 and a 703 both with  waratah 622's and they really like both the 1470 is running 70 cord of hard wood a day the 703 is new so not quite up to speed yet but so far they love the heads.

lumbertick

Yesterday was my first day in it and I cut 70 of red pine in 7 hours.. It's a second thinning..  I like it so far

sshier

Lumbertick do you cut much for hardwood? We cut 90% hardwood kinda wondering if 1270 will be enough machine. Or if we should go with tracked machine

lumbertick

We cut about 60% hardwood.. We just got the 1270 last week haven't cut anything but red pine with it yet.. The fabtek eats the hardwood up real good.. They clame this waratah head will cut hardwood really we'll also.. Be a couple weeks before I'm in hardwood with it..

1270d

Quote from: sshier on December 07, 2014, 01:35:28 PM
Lumbertick do you cut much for hardwood? We cut 90% hardwood kinda wondering if 1270 will be enough machine. Or if we should go with tracked machine

Ive cut some hardwood with a 1270.  They will produce quite a bit of wood, but if you like to force things and bull stuff around a rubber tired dangle head is probably not the best machine

sshier

I like the idea of the dangle head better than a fixed . but I suppose a fixed would have more control over the tree but it seems to me it would be harder on the boom and carrier. I've had no experience with either but I see how much torque a 18 inch hardwood can put on a buncher head with a lot less leverage than a 30 ft boom. also I like wheeled because we do alot of small lots that are under 6 miles apart so we drive from one to the next quite a bit.

1270d

You have all kinds of control with a dangle head.  As long as you treat it as a chainsaw on a stick.  For bigger timber leaning the wrong way, make notch cuts, maybe three or four.  Then feather it over. 

We don't do  any driving job to job but it would be a savings compared to a tracked rig.

Thank You Sponsors!