iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling Saws

Started by StIhL_MaGnUm_1, September 11, 2002, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

O.K guy's how many of you run a modified saw when felling the bigger tree's??I'm getting ready to send out my 385XP for some more horsepower...Also buying a new 395XPG for this winter...So who's modified and who is'nt??

Later Rob....

Kevin

No mods here Rob, can`t say I have a need for it but maybe some day I`ll get the Husky 262 hopped up.

Corley5

My 395's stock.  I don't really see a need to have it hopped up.  Cuts good the way it is.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

My 385XP is not having any trouble but it's a little slow pulling a 36" in certain hardwoods,but it still gets the job done thats the only reason I want to hop it up a little nothing radical just a good woods saw,I ran my friends 395 last week very nice saw definetly no problems with power there,I think I may buy one of those next week gotta go to my dealer and see what the prices are for one with a 36"..

Later Rob......

Oregon_Rob

As if "Need" has anything to do with it! :D
Chainsaw Nerd

smwwoody

hi

I run a hopped up 372 most of the time and I love it thinking of doing a 385 soon.  i never realy liked the weight of the 394/5's and the 288's well I wont go there but that 285 I think that will be my new saw
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

The 372's are a very good saw,but if your looking for a good felling saw the 385's are the ticket I use mine all day with a 32" bar and chain in Oak and Maples and it still has plenty of power to spare.

Later Rob...

smwwoody

Hi Rob

I cut about 10000 bf of oak and cherry today that measured about 30 to 36 inches across the stumpwith my little 372 and a 24" bar.  but that little extra power in a 385 would speed me up quite a bit in those big cherry's
I could cut them from the back insted of boaring all of them  and not worry about splitting them.  this would be a lot faster and when one tree sells for about 4 to 5 thousand dollars you don't want to take any chances of splitting one or I might be looking for a new line of work.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

HORSELOGGER

Rob, I'm confused.... Stihl magnum one, but you use all husky?    I had a 372 xp that I had power tuned by Madsens saw shop in Washington. It was a nice saw and really screamed but I have been a stihl man for so long I sold it and bought a 046. Just couldnt get comfortable with the layout I guess.

smwoody,   sounds like a good day in the woods.   I like to keep a 28" bar on my saws and plunge cut everything no matter what size. I like to have as much control of when the tree goes down as possible and never liked racin the notch with a back cut. Even if I have my Jonsy 2095 out with the 32" bar I plunge cut.

Reminds me of a story.... Last winter I was logging a small patch of mixed hardwoods, mostly oak and some ash.  A small mill owner came out to bid on the logs at the end of one day and came down into the timber where I was skidding out the last log I had down with the team. He saw my saw laying there and asked if he could carry it out for me and I told him I was going to drop one more little ash tree before I called it a day.  He sized it up and said " I'll lay it down while you pull out that one"  I figured he must know what he's doing so said go ahead.  I got just about up to the landing when I heard that awful CRACK and the only thing I was wondering was if he was still alive !   I ran back down and sure enough, there was a 13' tall barber chair and and a very embarrassed ( and lucky) mill owner. Nobody touches my saw anymore but me!
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

smwwoody

horselogger you are right.  I keep trying to talk myself into bigger saws because the power is cool right ?????
but I always remember that no matter what I am cutting and no matter what saw I am useing I will still bore or plunge cut them all any way so why should I drag around anything bigger than a 372 or 046
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

HORSELOGGER

Yeah, thats what i was getting at I guess. Why drag any more weight around than you really need?  I have found that sharp is almost more important than displacement. What good is a 32" dull chain on 95cc of saw?
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

KiwiCharlie

G'day Rob,

Currently Im not modified, but I do want to get the muffler done on my 038, for a start.  A cooler running saw is a happier saw, I always say!!  ;D :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

ADfields

Charlie can you still get 038's and 041's down ther?
Andy

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Horselogger,

I still use my 064AV on a daily basis,I just never had any Husqvarnas and now that I got a few I'm starting to like them,but that does'nt mean that I don't stihl like my Stihl's I have always been a stihl fan I plan on buying a 088 mag in the near future...

Later Rob...

smwwoody

rob
if you are going to use that 088 for felling hardwood do yourself a favor and find a good used 084 they seem to have a little more snap. some times you can even still find a new one at a shop a friend of mine just found a new still in the box 064 at a shop last week
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

I don't really like the 084's I'm just thinking about getting a 088,but I might not I only use saws for the bigger than 22" stuff otherwise I use my HydroAx feller buncher.Finding a 064 was a good finf though..

I'm just starting to haul all my equipment to another site,I just finished a 25 acre selective cut of all Maple,and some good sized Oak's,now all I gotta do is go back and get my buncher before the days out....

Later Rob..

TJACK

SMWWOODY,

I see you are from PA by the flag and pesky Elk statement.  I live in Elk County!  The PA Game Commission is making a ton of cash on the sale of Elk applications to control an animal as wild as an escaped farmers cow!

As far as a felling saw, I use a 372xp.  My Husky dealer said he sells 10 to 1, 372xp to 395xp.  The 372 runs at higher RPM and the extra weight of the 395 is tough to justify.  The 385 specs look good, although I have not used one.

TJACK

KiwiCharlie

G'day Andy,

I have not seen the 041 here, but you can still get the 038 easily, as well as the 090.  The firewood guys here really like the 038, it goes and goes.  I believe you can get the 038 in Canada also.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Ron Scott

I just switched from Sthil after all these years to a new Husky 351 for my use ald lighter weight. The large dealer I go to handled both Stihl and Husky.

I was surprise to see no more Stihls when I visited. He tells me that Stihl took all his Stilh products away because he was selling too many Huskys. So I went with a Husky because of the good dealer and service.

The Husky 372xp seems to be the most poplar here also.  
~Ron

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Ron,

These Husky's are a very good saw I love my 385XP that I bought a while ago very good power to weght ratio there not much heavier than the 372's and have more ci's.I still like my 064 and other Stihl's but from now on all I'll probally buy will be Husqvarna..

Later Rob...

ranger

I run a stock 046 mag and it does o.k. would be nice to get a little more power out of it but I get paid by the hour! Actually if I used it for mainly falling I would get it hopped up but the saw is being asked to do  three things. Limbing, bucking, and falling the bigger trees. By the sounds of things the 385xp should do me really good , haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

Seth

Rob
I have a couple of 084's and a new 088 out west getting worked over by Ken Dunn . The 084 is a little smaller than the 088's and the new 088 out of the box are kind of a turkey.If you are looking for a big gun, Try to find a used 084 or Sachs Dolmar 166

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Hey Seth how did the cant cutting go ???

Later Rob..

Seth

Rod
 It went great.Here's a shot of me with Steve Melzers 088kd woods saw, 10x10 Apen cant 3 cuts 0:07 02

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Seth,

Who's Rod I never met him  :D,cool pic nice 088KD,I've been debating on sending my 385 to Dennis or Dunn...

Later Rob....

Thank You Sponsors!