iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My mount for a deer mount

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, April 29, 2012, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

This may be a bit of a long story so if you just want to skip to the pix I'll not be upset, or even know  :D

I am what I say I am, a jack of all trades, master of none. So that makes me an ok woodworker.  I recently had my biggest buck mounted. It's no monster but it's the biggest one I have ever taken. When I got the deer back earlier this month from the taxidermist I decided it need a back board.

My house is built out of oak by my father. Starting around 1957 he was working construction clearing a lot for new houses and the red and white oaks were large and straight. He took the trees to his buddy with a sawmill and had him saw out his house. the 2x4 studs are pine but the joists, sheathing and floor underlay are oak. The flooring is maple he scavenged out of a bowling alley that was being torn down.

Back in the 80's my brother and I added on a laundry room for Mom and I saved a stack of 2x10 oak boards. Skip forward and I came up with this board for my mount. The left half is White Oak and I believe the right half is Red Oak. I don't have a router, only a table saw, so to join the 2 boards I used some scrap wood from ripping them down to 8" and made a spline about a blades with wide and then setting the table saw depth to just over 1/2 the size of the spline I made the groove. It took a little sanding to get the spline to fit but it came out nice. I put a couple of pieces of flat barstock across the back for added strength and to use as a hanger. 

The finished mount:

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Norm

Very nice Jon and honoring your Dad makes it even more special.

Left Coast Chris

The rustic look works great for the mount.  Great work.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

I was bow hunting for 4 days at the tree farms in WV and didn't see anything within bow range. Came home, unloaded the truck, was unpacking and undressing getting ready for a shower when I looked out the side door and there he was. So I took this one in my underwear  ;D
Jon

Magicman

Now that is my kind of thinking for sure.  I think congrats are in order for the entire project and the story.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on April 29, 2012, 03:54:59 PM
So I took this one in my underwear  ;D
Jon

Where's a camera when you need it!  :D

WildDog

Looks good, I like the rustic mount, including the old nail holes, with a story to it.

Jon your house must be warm with carpet on the walls :) probably a good thing when your getting around in your underwear. :D

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Lud

Well,  I'm glad it wasn't a sheep! :D :D ;D ;D ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Mighty fine looking deer and mount. How much did he weight. Don't see deer up by the house during hunting season. But out of season they come within sight of the house.doubt they are shoot able in my under wear.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

That was a splendid idea with your special recycled boards, ws!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Weekend_Sawyer

Great reply's folks, Ida needed a wide angle lends...
I did not weigh it but it went 80 yards and I was puffin dragging it back to the barn.

Jon

Patty

Now there is a mental picture!!  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Weekend_Sawyer

I was about to quote Groucho but this IS a family show.

WDH

I usually wear pants when I go deer hunting.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

There are some nice whitetail bucks taken while in just the underwear.  This is but one example.
20" outside, 10 pt

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I guess that I will have to try it, then........

Magicman

Danny, you are supposed to wear underwear now, not the deer.

I always wear underwear when deer hunting, I just put something else on over them.  But then there is that picture......
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Burlkraft

That looks great Jon   8)

Two memories all in one!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

barbender

Beenthere, that is an unusual whitetail rack. Jon, that is a nice deer and a nice job on the back.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!