nice

Started by woodmills1, March 13, 2013, 08:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

got my sawmill and woodlot today
nice job at the shootout
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tam-i-am

I got my copy this weekend. 
We did very well considering our splitters are only 6.5 horsepower.
One thing I noticed and was disappointed was that sawmill and woodlot didn't mention that on the processors many of them produced wood that would need to be reprocessed before it could be sold as firewood while Logrite produced wood that was ready to go.

I also notice that I could split wood faster than Kevin.   ;D  So no one around here is going to let him forget that. After some calculations they figure I was splitting 2.27 cords per hour while Kevin was only splitting 1.45.  He has lots of reasons for that:  "I'm sure my pile was more than the .62 cords", "I had to wait for it to be bucked", "I had the big gnarly logs none of the other processors could handle"  on and on the list goes. :D

I have a theory of my own:  Girl Power!!!   8)
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

brendonv

Is there an online link to the literature you guys are speaking about.  That's a lot of wood with the firewoodinator!
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

John Mc

Quote from: Tamiam on March 14, 2013, 10:57:11 AM
One thing I noticed and was disappointed was that sawmill and woodlot didn't mention that on the processors many of them produced wood that would need to be reprocessed before it could be sold as firewood while Logrite produced wood that was ready to go.

Sounds as though someone who saw the showdown should write a letter to the editor pointing that out.  Might be better if it came from someone not an employee of Logrite?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

r.man

Tammy, do you mean that it would need to be resplit because it is too large for most stoves? I tend to think that processor wood is too small for many applications.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Tam-i-am

r.man

Yes, they would have had to be resplit.  Some of our logs were 20" around and then the processor would just split it in two.  No one wants to stick that into a woodstove.

In my personal opinion though, I like them left as big as I can lift them because I don't want to be standing outside loading the furnace any longer than I have to so shoving 6 huge pieces in there as opposed to 12 small pieces works for me. ;)

I also have a woodstove and for that we make the wood really small 12" long and probably 4" around.  With the firewoodinator it is fun to split these tiny pieces so I don't mind making them.

That is another great thing about the Firewoodinator systems, you can make whatever size you want as Mark said in the article "Our machine allows the person to do anything, while the others require the machine to do everything." so there is little flexibility with the other machines.

r.man

Does the shootout require you to just produce split blocks without any finished size standards?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Tam-i-am

We can't remember if there was a length that the processors were all supposed to cut to.  The processors were allowed to split only to the wedge that they had, so if it had a 4 way then the pieces were in quarters.  there was no consistency.

With the splitters though, everyone had to cut each round into 8 pieces.
that proved more difficult for those using a 4 way wedge.

In years past they had slots that the wood had to fit through this surely kept everyone cutting to the same dimensions.

In S&W's final analysis they say "Watching the Shoot-Out was much more than seeing who cut the fastest."  It was a chance to see if the machine was the machine for them, to chat with owners, manufacturers and reps. To compare many machines in one location at same time.