iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meadows Mobile sawmill question

Started by dgdrls, February 11, 2013, 09:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Question for you circle guys,

On a unit like a Meadows Mobile,  are they really set up to be tractor PTO driven?

Seems like a little stationary power plant would work fine  Deutz air-cooled

I have read some threads about folks Using Jackson Units "mobile"

Being without a mill is kind of hard but it is forcing me to re-explore all
avenues for a new mill and how to make it at least pay for itself.
Looks like until I can do that I most likely will not get another mill unless
its a steal.

Plan to talk with Meadows this week.

DGDrls

mikeb1079

dg what happened to your mill?

i was thinking you had like a lt 10 or something?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

dgdrls

Mikeb.

I pushed it down the road to a new owner,
Need to be mobile and want a circle.

I have to figure out how to make it pay for itself too,
Really leaning toward a Lucas or Peterson, but at this
point nothing is off the table.

DGDrls

mikeb1079

ahhh i gotcha.  good luck in the search!

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

m wood

Sorry dgdrls, cant answer the meadows mobile question.  Didnt know you let go of the lt10 either, i must have missed that thread.  werent you talking to me about a swinger recetly?  It seems you ARE exploring all your options.  Tell us more about time frame, cost limits, what type of sawing you want to do in the future.

AND, good luck.  You answered every time I had a question, and after every bit of patience I could muster, Im bringing home the new/used Norwood this weekend.

Mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

dgdrls

Hey m_wood,

glad to hear the Norwood is headed to a new home.  For me,.. no pressing time frame on a new mill.
Anything circle style larger than a swing mill will require more room than I have here so renting or leasing a landing
would be required,  realistically I'm not there yet as much as I would like to be.   I am still working at understanding the local
market here and finding a niche.  There are a couple well established stationary mills within 20 to 25 miles and of-course some portable
bands but I have not found anyone yet close by that runs a swing style mill.  So, the only real option I see right now is to be mobile with
a swing mill and advertise to take on the big log or tough access projects and build from there.

I called on 2 8-27 Lucas Mills in PA. and one Peterson in VA.  just missed both Lucas mills
and no reply from the Peterson listing. 

I continue to watch for sales and enjoy the posts here on the board :D

DGDrls

m wood

theres a nice lookin Lucas still listed in Erie CL.  I hope a niche comes along for you.  Research/timing/location location location.  TTYL
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

m wood

You can swing thru Batavia on your way to pick it up! ;D  We'll have a cup of joe and I'll show you round the woodlot ::)
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

dgdrls

Quote from: m wood on February 12, 2013, 09:00:40 PM
theres a nice lookin Lucas still listed in Erie CL.  I hope a niche comes along for you.  Research/timing/location location location.  TTYL
mark

That was the first Lucas I called on,  the second was posted in PA but was actually in WV.

I like Batavia and that region,  I spent 10 years in Rochester and worked on the west side of town with
a two brothers from Alexander,  great guys, hard workers, the Elder brother is a NY PE,LS as I recall he
was building a stationary circle mill.

Thanks
DGDrls

Meadows Miller

That thing sure is purrdy I Need One :o :o I'd take one of them over a new missus any day Mate  ;) :D :D ;D ;D 8)

It all depends what logs you are sawing if you should go a Lucas as the Lucas will not be far behind the Meadows as far as production goes if you keep either one on bigger logs the Lucas new will be about $19k for the 10" & the Meadows will come in at $35 to $40k plus saw and motor  ;) but it will outrun the Lucas in small to med logs . You will just have to weigh up what you are ultimately aiming to do and where you want to be Mate  ;)

Well I have the Jackson sitting in central PA still working out what im gonna do with it . but I have more work here than i can shake afew sawmills at atm  :) :)

A good friend of the family is originally from Rochester she lives over here now   ;) :) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

dgdrls

Spoke with Meadows this week, MM your spot on for Cost ;)
Let the search continue!

Be well and work safe,

DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!