iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing treated poles.

Started by Bogue Chitto, March 29, 2012, 10:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

I have never sawed treated poles ( telephone poles, power poles).  What to look out for?  Need to where a mask?  Customer said no metal in them  ::).?

pineywoods

one word - don't. Ain't worth the trouble. The chemical treatment only goes an inch or so deep. The untreated heart wood will rot in a heartbeat. The sawdust is probably rather toxic...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

opticsguy

The most important thing in all your life is your health.

My answer, a BIG NO!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

cypresskayaksllc

I had the same question last year. And I got the same answer as above. Well sometimes I can be a little curious so I went ahead and did it. I wish I hadnt. The poles I sawed were toxic. The dust burned my skin around my mask and eyes. I had to throw away my clothes. The mill carried the smell for months. The poles had weather cracks in them and were filled with sand.
Best use the poles for a pole barn or fence corners.
But like I said before, I was told all this and I still did it :D
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Bogue Chitto

So far three reply's, and I called the customer to tell him NO.

redbeard

You did right canceling job. They are tough on you and the mill  the clean up is time consuming and the saw dust and tailings you kinda have to treat as hazardous material.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Nomad

I've only had one guy want me to saw utility poles.  I told him I didn't like the idea, but I'd at least look at his site.  He said no; he wanted me to cut them at my location.  (That way I would be stuck cleaning up the hazmat.)  On top of all the other hassles with them?  No thanks.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave VH

next month I'm supposed to saw up some cedar telephone poles.  I don't believe that they are treated with anything.  I know to look for nails. 
  What's ya'lls opinion on that?

(I'm not trying to mislead the thread, I just thought that this was a good time for the question)
I cut it twice and it's still too short

thurlow

I guess I'm the odd man out.  Have sawed untold thousands of bf out of used utility poles;  squared 'em up for pole barns and sawed into planks for trailer decking, bridge flooring, corral building, etc.  If they're properly treated with creosote, they will be treated ALL THE WAY through.  They WILL have hardware in 'em.........usually just (yard sale, etc) staples, but occasionally nails, spikes, etc.  If you choose to saw 'em, be aware that creosote is a known carcinogen and you need to take appropriate precautions.  COVER UP!!
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Banjo picker

I did it once, and won't again...

The post in this fence is what I cut...from old power poles...I'll let you know how long they last.....If I last longer than they do....they look like they were treated through and through to me....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Woodwalker

Quote from: thurlow on March 29, 2012, 07:24:17 PM
I guess I'm the odd man out.  Have sawed untold thousands of bf out of used utility poles;  squared 'em up for pole barns and sawed into planks for trailer decking, bridge flooring, corral building, etc.  If they're properly treated with creosote, they will be treated ALL THE WAY through.  They WILL have hardware in 'em.........usually just (yard sale, etc) staples, but occasionally nails, spikes, etc.  If you choose to saw 'em, be aware that creosote is a known carcinogen and you need to take appropriate precautions.  COVER UP!!

Nah, your not odd, I saw 'em too. Yeah it's dirty, stinks and makes some very nice treated lumber.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Kansas

Back in the early days, when we were hungrier, we sawed a bunch. We won't anymore. That being said, cedar poles are often only treated for the portion in the ground.

MHineman

I sawed a few last year.  The older utility poles around here appear tobe Western Red Cedar treated with creasote.  I never sawed all the way to the center, but the creasote seems to go in very deep in all the way to the center. 
  The part of the pole that was in the ground was darker did not have the creasote "thinned out" from being in the weather for 40 years.  That part was pretty much impossible to cut. 
  The weathered part cut alright, but I did use a lot of lube to keep the blade clean.  WM suggested doubling the soap and vegetable oil, and also add about twice that much PineSol to the lube water.
  Cover up, always wear gloves and mask, and only saw with the wind at your back.
  The bottom line is it's messy, slow, dirty work and you should limit your exposure.  I did it for a friend and will do some for myself, but I'm not going to make a habit of it.
  And you will go through twice as many blades even if you don't hit metal that's hiding.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Magicman

I worked 32+ years in the telophone industry.  Utility poles are treated as well as possible by first drawing a vacuum, and then pressurizing the treating chamber.  Some of the chemicals may penetrate deeply into the poles, and sometimes possibly to the pith, but logic will tell you that it is a minimal amount.  We never used a cut off pole, because the bottom had been comprimized and the less treated center had been exposed.

Utility pole users schedule a contractor to bore holes and inject a strong chemical into standing poles which prolong their life.  This injection hole is then plugged with a peg.

The above in no way compares our "Southern" treated poles to the untreated Cedar poles that are/have been used in other parts of the country.

I sawed treated poles once.  Never again.  Ever.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

I used to inspect poles.  What we injected into the center was for heartrot.  The first thing we did was to sound out the pole with a hammer.  Then we bored it to see how bad it was.  When we found a hollow one, we would see how much wood was on the outside.  If it was sufficient for the line, then we treated.  Otherwise we rejected the pole and it had to be replaced.

I always found the SYP poles were treated to the heartwood.  A lot would depend on the year that it was treated and where it was treated.  There's a stamp on the side of all the poles that give you that information, including the PSI used for the treat.  The more PSI, the deeper the treat.  Also told species and height.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

eastberkshirecustoms

As far as health risks when sawing, is there a difference between the newer 'green' treated poles and the creosoted ones, or are they both just as bad?

fstedy

I've been sawing Western Red Cedar transmission poles for years without any problems. The butt ends are mildly creasote treated but it usually only penetrates about 1". Won't saw any treated pine poles or the green treated poles not worth the trouble. Any metal is usually visable on the pole surface where the pole tags were or moulding and staples for the down ground wire. Hardware and bolts are easily removed as are the tag nails and staples.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Dave VH

I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!