iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing up some Chestnut!

Started by sawmill_john, May 05, 2004, 12:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmill_john

Hi there guys!  I told Dan G that I had some pictures of my sawing so here they are.  I cut up two pieces of Chestnut saturday, both were in the 24" range and we got some nice stuff off both logs

1st log cut up real nice, took out a nice pass of 5/4" x 12" boards

book matched 5/4" x 12"

I broke in my brother in-law, he is a graphic designer, but he caught right on.

resetting and andvancing for the next 1 x 4.

I think I may have hooked another wood butcher.

oakiemac

Nice pics John. Where did you get the Chestnut? It was my impression that it was all but extinct.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Frank_Pender

Oakiemac, we still have a few secrets out here in the West.   Nice looking boards, John.   Thanks for sharing them.
Frank Pender

Stan

The blight is havin' a hard time gettin' past the treeless Dakotas, just ask stinky. :P
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

oakiemac

I wanna come out there and slice up some of them Redwoods you have in the north west ;D

BTW John, nice looking mill you have there! Kinda looks familar.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

DanG

Nice pics, John. :)  You got them posted before I could even tell everyone you were holding out on them. :D :D

Thanks for the help, yesterday.  I got part of that blockage cleared, but the other one is still soaking.  I'll be trying some more tricks today. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

shopteacher

QuoteThanks for the help, yesterday.  I got part of that blockage cleared, but the other one is still soaking
Gee, DanG, I thought you had some type of intestinal trouble, till you said you had the other one soaking. Now I really hope its not a GI track problem :D.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

sawmill_john

Okie, this American Chestnut tree was plated over 100 years ago in a residential area of north Portland, The tree had to be removed because it died, the tree was 5' in dia. at the point were it cut.  The DanG thing had probalby 20 spikes in it I found almost every one, luckily I only ran into 1 and if I would have removed my head from a "dark place" I would have seen it before I cut into it.  The nail was just under the surface of the end cut facing me, and the head had been trimed off by the faller.  As for the redwoods Frank has some, but the big ones are down south in California.
Dan I'm glad to hear that the carb is un-pluged.

I'll get some more pics when I saw up the next Black Walnut log.  

John

DanG

:D :D  Teach, with all the beer I drink, GI blockage is not usually a problem! :D

The blockage I mentioned was in the passage from the accelerator pump to the outlet in the throat of my mill's carburetor. It took the better part of 2 days of soaking in various noxious substances, and interminable picking with little wires. Suddenly the blockage came free, and I was able to blow air through the passage. 8)  I reassembled it with new parts from a kit, and it is running MUCH better!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

music_boy

I'm going to show my ingnorance here, but I found a log in the woods that had been there lying 30+ YEARS.(guy that worked there told me he cut it when he had just started working there.) The grain and the color look very similar if not exactly like your chesnut pics. I ID'ed it as Elm????????????? I know the blight on the east coast has all but wiped out the American Chesnut, save those resistant var. cultivated.
Any authorities out there shed some light??? Elm and chestnut that similar????????
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

beenthere

The fact that it laid there for 30 years and you could still cut it (or even see it) is a good indication it is Chestnut.  And I suspect that the wood could be "identified" as elm by an un-trained eye.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frank_Pender

You are so correct, John.  I just kicked some of those big critters around with the D5 yesterday.   The range in size for about 6' to 3'  and up to 20' long. ;D
Frank Pender

music_boy

WOW ;D :D
       Maybe I got me  a little treasure. I'll be a little more particular as to what I do with it. Thanks ya'll
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Thank You Sponsors!