iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Tulip Poplar (& Motors)

Started by Magicman, November 03, 2014, 08:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I started a really nice Poplar job this morning for a customer that is building a new home.  I already sawed his framing lumber and this is for siding and maybe some paneling, etc.

Thirty two 16' Tulip Poplar logs nicely staged.  I see something in the background??

An old "Hit-Miss" engine...that runs.  It is a 12 hp Witte engine.

And some other stuff including this "F12" Farmall tractor.

Back to the sawing.  The customer's wife with the sawdust scoop.

End of the day there is a trailer loaded with 1X8's and 14 logs left to saw.  Our total lumber for today was 2309 bf with two blades used.   

I am supposed to follow the bulldozer tomorrow, so weather permitting  we will finish sawing Wednesday.

The customer cranked the engine at noon while we were eating our lunch.  I made a video, so now I'll have to figure out how to do it.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

Here I am trying to zoom in on photo #1 to see the treasures in the back and all I needed was to scroll down.  ;D
Nice pictures.

Is 1000bf normal for you  on a blade? If it is I need to re-engineer my homemade job.  smiley_headscratch
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Poplar is generally knot free and very easy to saw so sawing 1Mbf is not unusual for one blade.  I do not know how much I could have sawn with one blade because my normal is to start with a fresh blade in the morning and change the blade at noon.  Those logs were dirty so the Debarker saved my cookie. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Nice job, Setup is what it's all about :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tree Dan

Looks like a nice spot to work there, lots of room and stuff to look at :o
Mighty fine logs there...you would lose the ugly log contest for sure on the job ;D
Keep the camera rolling
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Magicman

The engine coil was bad so he adapted a Ford T Model coil.  Let's try the engine video:
http://youtu.be/m70Ucvgu630

This is 12 hp Witte engine.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good post Magic.....how about saw him 4-6x6 post for his Hit & Miss Shed.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LaneC

Did they use that for a sugar cane mill or something? Thanks for sharing.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Magicman

Yup, cane mill and whatever else.  My customer is the 4th generation to own this engine and is proud that he got it back running.

Peter Drouin

There are 100s of them up here.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WmFritz

I cant splain it, but old machinery like that draws me like a moth to a flame at the old tractor shows. My wife doesn't understand it.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Texas Ranger

Not load enough, sounds like it has a gastrointestinal  problem! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

customsawyer

Nice post, nice logs and nice sawing.  Some days I fell like that engine. Only I miss more than I hit. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

slider

Nat a bad day MM nice set up.
al glenn

Magicman

With the rain coming, it seems doubtful that we can finish today.  Since the customer works "7on and 7off", after today, it will be a week before we can finish.  Time will tell.

barbender

I'm kindling of wondering how magic always ends up with jobs where he has the fancy ladies tailing lumber ;D That ol hit and miss is neat ;)
Too many irons in the fire

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: barbender on November 05, 2014, 07:22:39 AM
I'm kindling of wondering how magic always ends up with jobs where he has the fancy ladies tailing lumber ;D That ol hit and miss is neat ;)

Yeah, the engine is neat and so is the Miss!!!

Herb

Magicman

Back to finish up sawing the Poplar today.  My customer worked hard yesterday.   :)

Not surprisingly, the remaining thirteen 16' logs were properly staged and the empty trailer was ready.

All of Monday's lumber was stickered.  He is a foot away from the wall and there are two stacks a foot apart.  He has a fan blowing, so he will be OK with his lumber.

The total scaled yield today was 1538 bf with one blade.   That plus I got a $25 tip.

More fun stuff that runs 'cause nothing runs like a Deer

A Maytag gasoline powered clothes washer that belonged to his Great Grandmother.
http://youtu.be/WbJPbwFZluM
Opps, I do not know how to turn a video.   :embarassed:

A gasoline powered hack saw.
http://youtu.be/3EFtoFGqkd8
And a twin cylinder Maytag washer engine.

Tree Dan

MM ...That washing machine is very cool.
I think you may be haven a bit too much fun on this job ;D
Nice wack of boards yaaa got.what band do you use to cut that wood?
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Allen S

You are a lucky man magicman one is to get to cut such straight logs were do they grow trees that straight. And get to work around all that old history I like all that old stuff like that. Looks like you like it too great job with the pics.

Magicman

Yup, 10° Wood-Mizer DoubleHard.  No need to experiment, I stay with a winner.   :)

(YouTube is new to me, so I need to investigate editing.)

Ljohnsaw

Thanks for posting all the pictures and videos!  That big hit and miss, how many HP was that? About 5 or 8?

I always read that people talking about how many BF they get from a blade.  It seems to me it is more about hours.  If you are cutting a bunch of huge beams vs. the 1x you were doing, to me, BF blade life does not mean much.  But hours of blade in the wood does.  Am I missing something?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

I edited and added the engine information.  It is a 12 hp Witte engine.

Your hourly "blade life" measurement would be accurate.  To me, blade life is of little concern.  I start with a fresh blade and change at lunch time which generally insures that I have a good blade and I do not have to stop while I am sawing a change blades.  There are times when I may have to change more often to insure accurate sawing.

Any dirt whatsoever is too much, so the Debarker is one of the most valuable sawmill options.

Tree Dan

MM, So you use the 10 degree all the time or on most woods?

I have 10 degree and 4 degree, and I now have some sugar maple and black cherry
to mill for myself...do you think the #10 is the best for this?
I have heard that#9 is a good hardwood blade in mild weather.
I don't want to hijack the thread.

By the way I love this hit miss engines!

Magicman

No problem with questions.  Thread highjack 'bout does not happen here on the FF.   The conversation may drift off, get to food, Grits, sometimes even Goats, and then may (or may not) work it's way back to the OP subject.  Heck, what was the subject here anyway?  Sawing, motors, tractors, or shoveling sawdust  ???   :D

I own about 50 blades.  I have four 4° blades that I bought to use on White Oak.  All of the others are 10°.  At one time I discussed letting WM Resharp substitute 7° blades for my rejected blades, but I never did.  The majority of my sawing is SYP and ERC.  10° blades handle Red Oak and Cherry, etc. just fine for me.  I am not going to get involved with keeping an inventory of a variety of different blades, especially since I do portable sawmilling.

disclaimer:  What I do works well for me.  Other sawyers  may have different opinions regarding their blade usage.  :)

Tree Dan

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2014, 03:17:07 PM
No problem with questions.  Thread highjack 'bout does not happen here on the FF.   The conversation may drift off, get to food, Grits, sometimes even Goats, and then may (or may not) work it's way back to the OP subject.  Heck, what was the subject here anyway?  Sawing, motors, tractors, or shoveling sawdust  ???   :D

I own about 50 blades.  I have four 4° blades that I bought to use on White Oak.  All of the others are 10°.  At one time I discussed letting WM Resharp substitute 7° blades for my rejected blades, but I never did.  The majority of my sawing is SYP and ERC.  10° blades handle Red Oak and Cherry, etc. just fine for me.  I am not going to get involved with keeping an inventory of a variety of different blades, especially since I do portable sawmilling.

disclaimer:  What I do works well for me.  Other sawyers  may have different opinions regarding their blade usage.  :)

I guess the only way Is for me to  experiment myself on the bands.
But yes that white oak is hard stuff...and the honey locust.
Anyway thanks for that.

Hope your job there is going good.

rasman57

Great post and pics!  Vintage iron and sawmill cuttin too.   Very cool MM.   That customer seems like he had the right idea about being prepared and doing his part.  Thanks for sharing.

Herb Brooks

Grits make good goat feed.  Ever eat chicken fried goat?  Guess that would be a goat crispin, whadaya think?

Magicman

Oh no Herb, perish the thought.   :o

But there is a Chickin Crispin on the horizon.  We pulled a Walnut tree out of the creek Tuesday.  I still have another "long dead standing" Walnut tree to recover, but it is across the creek and inaccessible.  Think winch cables ??

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2014, 05:37:32 PM
but it is across the creek and inaccessible.  Think winch cables ??

....or a string of Goats.  :) I sure would like to attend the Chicken Crisp'n.

Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2014, 05:54:45 PM
Got Gas  ???   :D

No, he hasn't ate the BBQ and beans yet...

Herb

POSTON WIDEHEAD

As a matter of fact I do .....Thank You.  :)

ozarkgem

nice old machinery. I like that kind of stuff. I guess I need a debarker. I saw a log and change blades. saw another log and change blades. I must be doing something wrong. Gets expensive.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

WDH

David,

You are sporting a nice collar and harness.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 06, 2014, 06:57:14 PM

As a matter of fact I do .....Thank You.  :)

yikes_smiley

What you got is a whole lot worse then gas!  :o

( you got to stop with the funny's... your gonna split my stitches!)  :D :D :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 06, 2014, 05:44:33 PMI sure would like to attend the Chicken Crisp'n.
Invitations are about as scarce as Goat's teeth.   :D 

Thank You Sponsors!