iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Sharpener?

Started by FarmingSawyer, September 10, 2014, 06:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

FS apparently its hard to find a good resharp service, lets hope the new guys do better. Two sharpenings before breakage is a dismal track record. Sounds like your old service wasen't setting or setting unevenly. I get at least 10--12 sharpenings before the bands loose the hard edge and start wondering. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NMFP

Every so often you will find some bands that get a low resharp rate but in general, I have numerous customers that have bands that have been  sharpened 8-12 times. 

Somewhere, I have a sample of a band that I was sent by a customer that sharpened his own bands with a chainsaw sharpener.  The band was ran new and then sharpened one time and very horribly.  Every gullet has a crack in it.  If I can find a camera, I can get a picture posted as to what horrible sharpening does to a band.

backwoods sawyer

I had a box of saws I used to fine of a stone on and gullet cracks showed up after the first sharpening :o heat in the gullets is a bad thing.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

prittgers

Great question!  Your mill is just so much iron without a good blade.  You can see what damage to a blade can happen when it's not ground properly in my post earlier today.

There is a new grinder coming out from one of the industries leaders.  It may include a setter in the same machine.  Keep an eye out.  It may be just what you need!

Get your own grinder and setter - even if it seems a sacrifice of hard earned money.  And get a CBN grinder - nothing else gives you the precision. 

I did and would never go back!
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Thank You Sponsors!