iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should I pay the extra $700

Started by Tree Dan, January 15, 2015, 04:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Short answer,  No,  I would not,  I would shop
for a second-hand one.  Look here on the board first
I have seen 090's here, or post a want for used 090 or 880.

good luck with your search,

DGDrls

JohnG28

The one thing I noticed with the 660 that I believe makes it feel underpowered is that it doesn't pull the same rpms in the cut than say a 460 will. On the other hand, it will keep right on pulling when other saws will stall. My uncle's, which I use when I need that size saw, also did a LOT  better when I gutted the muffler and put on a dp cover. Vast improvement in power and a much better runner now IMO.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

so il logger

yeah theres alot that can be done to make 660 faster. We dont cut timber with race saws but i think most timber fallers will agree that you cant have a doggy saw. The 660 is a solid saw from factory I personaly just like the 395 power a little more. I have 4 of the 660s and they go to the woods as well cause i know they will always run if i need one. But they dont get used often

so il logger

O and tree dan.....NEVER buy a used saw EVER. If buying the new 880 that you want isnt putting you in a bind cash wise then go for it. Dont inherit someones tired saw

4x4American

This is the 660 that haunts my dreams.  Course it is modded...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x7MXn5zuEw

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: so il logger on January 16, 2015, 11:25:25 PM
O and tree dan.....NEVER buy a used saw EVER. If buying the new 880 that you want isnt putting you in a bind cash wise then go for it. Dont inherit someones tired saw

I kinda agree.  There are some good used saws to be had.  I know that for a fact because I'm selling my 346 that's in great shape, I'm selling it because I don't like the AV system and it's underpowered.  The saw is fine, I just don't like it, I prefer 70cc and up saws.  I have to add one- never buy a used logger's saw.  Unless it's for parts that it has and you need. 
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

From looking at the expensive equipment Tree Dan lists in his avator no way in heck should he have to buy a used saw :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

so il logger

Yeah haha thats what i meant dont buy a loggers saw. I run mine till theyre parts only and i keep them for parts. But i have bought a couple used logger saws that bit me in the u know

HolmenTree

In the now 40 years I have  made a living with a saw I never bought a used one.
I think the saw dealers are happy with that. :D

so il logger

Hope im not getting far off the post subject but what do you use your saw for? And 40 years of buying used saws you must have went through alot

so il logger

Am i right in saying that you went through less than 30 by buying new saws i should say? 40 years of used saws would add up to a bunch. ;D its good to see someone siding with me :)

HolmenTree

As a teenage farmboy from Saskatchewan I started logging with a new Jonsereds 621. Today I own and operate a urban tree and stump removal service.
I relied on saws all my working life, but I do miss the old John Deeres on my dads farm though :D
I look at a new saw from out of the box as something that "molds to my hands". not someone elses. :laugh:

Buy them new and you can't go wrong... I respect the fact  you're on the same page as me so il logger ;)

so il logger

Couldn't have said it better. Buy a new saw and its yours.... buy a used one and its just seconds

HolmenTree

Exactly and with someone else's saw you don't know what you have. :)

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Tree Dan on January 16, 2015, 04:41:04 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 15, 2015, 06:57:43 PM
Quote from: Tree Dan on January 15, 2015, 06:16:45 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 15, 2015, 05:56:09 PM
Dan, I'm up against the same question, see my thread close by "anyone using an MS880".   I want a saw for long bar ripping cutting off flare and using  41 and 50" bars to quarter some logs lengthwise.

But seemed like no one answering my questions in the other thread liked the MS880.  What do your people nearby who use the 880 think of it?

Yaa I just seen your thread,,,I would go for the 661 if your not doing any big slabing or feal some 80" monsters...The 661 rocks...and we have No problems with them up here,,,the guys like them more than the 660.
I'm wanting a saw to run 41" and 50" bars for quartering logs.   Same cut as slabbing, no?   No one has told me where to get a 50" bar for the 661 nor whether it would run it.

Look at Bailys for the long bar for the 661 ;D
I have and they don't offer a 50" except for 404 chain. Don't think that combo will work very well on a 660 or 661.  Longest Bailey's has is a 41", Cannon, for 375 chain, CSB-S1-50-63-3.  http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Professional-Replaceable-Sprocket-Nose-Guide-Bars/Cannon-RSN-Guide-Bars/Cannon-Superbar-Guide-Bars/Cannon-42-SuperBar-Chainsaw-Bar-130-Drive-Links-CSB-S1-41-63-3.axd

If anyone knows otherwise where to get a 50" bar that a 660/661 will run, please post the link or other specific information. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

clww

If it were me, I would not do the 880 for the extra bucks, and would purchase the 661. I have separately picked up an 084, an 090, a 54" bar, and a 60" bar with the total being well under two grand. None of these are new, but I have never been lacking on any tree. Just my two cents.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: so il logger on January 16, 2015, 05:19:43 PM
Yes.. Baileys should offer a 50 in for 661 or 660. woodland pro brand i believe. they are built same as oregon but seem to last much longer
Thanks, but I can't find any Bailey listing for a bar over 41" for the MS660 except a 50" with a 404 sprocket.  50" with 404 chain is too long for an MS660, in other opinions here.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Give Baileys a call.  They might be able to help you, I messaged one of them awhile back looking for a 42-50" bar for my 066, I couldn't find it on their web page.  Talked with them and they found one for me.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I just used their bar finder.  Took 5 min.  You can also get the bar only for $119.
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

I already know about a 41" bar as I posted above.  OK 42" is longer, but I'm asking about a 50" bar suitable for the 660/661. 
Thanks for pointing out the bar selector tool on Bailey's. it is faster than the way I was looking.  But still no 50" bar except the Cannon 404.  Maybe they could swap to a 375 sprocket on it.

so il logger

you may have better luck calling them. unless they discontinued them they had 50 inch 375 pitch for 660. I looked and it is a woodland pro. Have one hanging in the shed.

7sleeper

Didn't see it mentioned. But why not get the 661 and have one of the well known modders (tree monkey, mastermind. etc.) go over it for half the price increase to the 880 and enjoy the power increase.

terrifictimbersllc

Didn't know about that. An idea.  There's almost no warranty on a Stihl anyway if the registration was checked off "professional use".  Sort of crazy, they advertise saws as professional but then use them that way and it practically voids the warranty.

I'm wondering how the MS880 might do if I put 375 chain on it rather than 404.

so il logger

The 880 would sure spin the 375 that's for sure ;D

Thank You Sponsors!