iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hercules winch

Started by rdobb13, April 24, 2016, 07:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdobb13

My local parts guy has been reluctant to give copies of manuals regardless of what I spend.  Anyone have a copy of the winch breakdown?  I'm losing fluid like crazy around the drum on the hydraulic side.  This little ash salvage is turning into a nightmare.

First I get dropped, my cutter can't get one to hit the ground, he bends a bar and smashes a saw....I'm starting feel feel like its cursed ground.

Neilo

Check out my gallery.

Sounds like the clutch cups/seals.

You can do them with the winch in the machine.
Neilo

rdobb13

Thanks Neilo.  I haven't been into that side of the winch yet so it will be a new one for me.  Anything else that could be changed or checked while I'm in there?

Neilo

You could take the pressure plate off and wipe dust or build-up from the linings. Don't breathe the dust. Be careful not to lose the little springs between the steel plates. Pressure plate clearance should be 070" when you set it. Measure that with the PTO or trans out and the winch "in".

Neilo

rdobb13

So I'm changing a set a week now.  How much travel should be there, it seems to move about an inch maybe.  The pressure is right on 550 psi as it should, the washers and cups fit right.

Could the piston and cylinder just be worn?  It's been trouble free for a year.

Thanks for any advice.

Neilo

Travel when together should only be 070". Set by the adjustment nuts on the big pressure plate.

Is everything right between the cylinder and the cast mounting leg?

rdobb13

Yea, the bearing is good.  The .070 travel, is that the cylinder itself?  I have never had the pressure plate off or adjusted the the clutches as it has never slipped.

It pushes the outside washer out each time, I ruled out too much travel because my thoughts were if it moved in too much it would drop the inside one as it would come off the end of the piston.  Just my thoughts..

Neilo

The inside cup sits hard against the felt spacer and the inner end of the outside cylinder. So if the cylinder moves to far, the outer cup can fail to the air and the inner cup fail to the shaft.

Sounds like something is missing to the right of the cylinder?

Cylinder should stay against the thrust bearing and pressure plate, so yes cylinder travel should only be same as pressure plate travel, 070"

rdobb13

The one that blows is the outside washer, closest to the bearing leg.  Against the head of the piston. Just put new thrust bearing and races in this week.  I'll try and adjust the pressure plate and see what kind of movement it has.  I did notice that the adjusters aren't even by eye. 

Neilo

Can you take some photos with it together?

Assuming the adjustment ring on the right side is in place between the bearing leg and the cylinder, I am starting to think this could be a problem on the drum end. Maybe the drum bearings have failed and the drum and clutch plates have shifted left. Can you see if there is lots of play in the drum side to side?

rdobb13

Finally put my thinking hat on.  Took a straight edge inside the cylinder, pitted right where it stops at the cup seal.  Stacked three washers behind the cup to move it in.  Works now, till the new one gets here. Thanks Neilo, sorry I've been missing an easy problem.  Been off my game lately. 

Bcote

Into similar problem, winch frame went out of alignment stuck engaged, changed HYD hoses, got bearer leg off, bearing looks bad, alignment ring chewed up. I'll get some pics. Up here in Canada and pressed for time. Any help would be appreciated!!I'll get some pics up asap.Thanks

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Bcote

Neilo

Are you posting photos or sorted?

Thank You Sponsors!