iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol vs Woodmizer?

Started by WoodHacker, May 10, 2010, 11:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodHacker

I want to buy a better mill than my Alaskan for making 2" slabs for use in making my chainsaw carved benches.  We're talking real low production here but, frankly, the using the Alaskan mill {particularly starting the cut when I'm alone} is un-nerving.  It's time for a change.

Anyway, the Logosol M7 looks like it would work well for me and be easy to transport.  But I'm not thrilled with the price.  The way I've been looking at it, a Logosol M7 retails for about $2,400 plus tax and shipping.  Add my ms660 to that, @ $1,200 retail, and the investment is over $3,600.  That's getting close to what I might find a used WoodMizer LT-15 selling for...  And the prices I've seen on used Logosol mills is dissapointing.  Sellers are asking close to new price from what I've seen.  

So, for low level production, does the Logosol have any big advantages over WoodMizer?  

Butch
Butch

Rodney Sinclair

I have a logosol M7 and use the 385 husky with it. I also have a 1220 TimberKing bandsaw. The Logosol is a lot more fun to work with. Just a little (not by much) slower. Plus I've never had a log I couldn't mill somehow with the Logosol. That's not true with the 1220. Some just will not fit.

Rodney

WoodHacker

Good point, Rodney.  Log diameter is worth considering.  Thanks for complicating my decision making process  :D
Butch

Magicman

Quote from: WoodHacker on May 10, 2010, 12:05:59 PM
  Thanks for complicating my decision making process  :D 

:D  Funny how logic   ::)  can mess with our heads...... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

VT-Woodchuck

I have a Woodbug mill and enjoyed it and last fall bought an LT15. No comparison, I'll take the bandsaw mill anytime. I have cut 30" pine on it and really don't want to deal with anything bigger. Also, there's the kerf, etc, etc, etc.

bandmiller2

Butch,go with the bandmill,you have an Alaskan mill for the odd huge log,a couple of cuts and it will fit on the band.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Rodney Sinclair

You said "low level use" so maybe check out what the bands cost & how much it costs to get them sharpened. Remember you sharpen that chain with a $1.00 file. The bands are the hidden cost with bandsaws.

I'm glad to know if I sell my Logosol, I'll get most of my money back. I call that a good thing.

Rodney

Thank You Sponsors!