iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

end grain planeing

Started by turningfool, June 20, 2007, 04:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

is it possible to plane end grain wood? am making clocks from cookies and want them super smooth..what are some other options?

Ianab

I think it can be done with super sharp hand plane. But myself I would use a router bridge to plane it down level and semi smooth, then sand to the finish you desire :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

crtreedude

I have a helix head on my Jet planer - it does a wonderful job on knots and such. I would be surprised if it didn't do well with end grain. You might want to attach some wood around it so that you don't tear out as you come to the end.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Patty

I am curious as to how you are going to keep the cookies from cracking and splitting. This will be an interesting thread. Take lots of pictures and keep us up to date.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

beenthere

In addition to the previous comments, be sure that the 'crack' is not parallel to the blade.  Ianab has the safest suggestion, as I see it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

IL Bull

How about burl??  Can that be planed??
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

metalspinner

I have sent endgrain cutting boards through my benchtop planer with no trouble.  If you spritz it with a water bottle before sending it through it makes for a real nice cut.  The very end on the cut - last 1/8" - will splinter away a bit, but extra lenghth will give you some clean up material.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ely

seems like that 18 to 24 inch belt sander would be just the ticket. the one that they are looking for in the wanted section.

Dan_Shade

it's real easy to burn endgrain with a sander.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

JimBuis

Turningfool,
If the end grain has a real rough cut to it, I like to use an electric handheld planer set for a very light cut. Once I get the roughness knocked off, I prefer to use a palm sander with 40 grit to get the planer marks out and smooth it up a bit, then I work my way through the grits up to 600 grit. I'm sure other methods work as well, but this works for me.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

pigman

Last year I got a call from a guy wanting to know if I could plan a 24inch wide, 3inch thick board for him. With my 25 inch planer I told him it would be no problem. He showed up with a 24 in diameter cookie 3inch thick. :o I tried it with my woodmaster planer and to my supprise it planed quiet well. It was still green and hackberry, so was fairly soft.  I don't think I will try any end grain dry pecan. ::)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Modat22

I used to make clocks out of round slabs, I'd send them down to the school and let the shop class run them thu a thickness sander. Did a fantastic job, prior to finishing I'd spray it with water to make the grain stand and run a scraper over it to give it a nice shave.
remember man that thy are dust.

TW

There are actually so called "low angle" handplanes which are intended for endgrain. I have never used one though and do not know how well they work, nor if they are made any more.
I think sanding is the way to go. A belt sander or even better if somebody has a thickness sander nearby.

I may be wrong though.

Furby

Turningfool, I just did one several weeks back with a belt sander.
The cookie was only about 12" dia. but it did take a good while to do both sides.
Can be done though. :)

Patty

How are you guys keeping the cookie from cracking and splitting?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

TexasTimbers

Tom,

I plane those cookies in my 25" spiral head and they come out smooth and shiny. Works great.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

turningfool

thanks for all of the comments..i did try a large belt sander and it worked just fine,then hand/power sanded down to 12,000 grit with the micro-mesh sanding discs..looks terrific..patty..i use pentacryl on green wood to keep cookies from checking on me but find that if waxed well and the thickness of the cookie is symmetrical they dry very quickly without any checks ..got a couple from kevjay and they are flawless..

SwampDonkey

A lot of people use 2 in one epoxy for making clocks on cookies. But, I think they use something as a pretreatment. Might be something similar to TF's method. Had a fellow make a clock from an old cypress stump.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Here is one I ran through the planer a couple weeks ago. It has no preservative or sealer on this end. I need to seal it again. If you want to see a close up of it Tom I'll take another picture.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

CHARLIE

I've planed the endgrain of a board with a handplane and got a nice smooth end.  Be sure to clamp a scrap board on the edge of the board that will be at the other end of your stroke. If you don't, you'll split wood off the edge with every stroke.  Make sure you plane is sharp and set for a thin cut. I turn my plane at about a 45° angle so the blade slices into the wood. It's not a big deal. It works.  Try it on some scrap.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!