iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Board" of Education

Started by Magicman, July 31, 2020, 10:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have a friend that is making these.  No they are not turkey calls. 

Boards of "education" but I doubt that teachers are allowed to use them like they did on me.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Downstream

You just made my day!  Those are great.  The time out generation won't even get it.  
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I have trouble sitting here reading this thread and looking at those pictures. smiley_devil smiley_crying
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

those are probably 92% effective just hanging on the wall.  the other 8% are all prob. members on this forum.   :D :D :D :o :o :o 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

:D Just knowing it was there was usually enough.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Love em!

I was able to sign a couple paddles when I was in middle school. There was a price... :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

'licks" where meted out 3 at a time when I was in 6th grade, usually by the teacher, and for more serious infractions it was a trip to the principal's off. I can recall one one getting 36 licks from the teacher and 3 trip to the principle. Other than being a hellion in her class, I got along pretty well with my teacher and even worked for her after class and weekends. The 'board was a little bit different story by the time I got to junior high. The principle was a meek fellow and his licks didn't phase me. The coaches on the other hand were a completely different story. One of them was actually pretty abusive and used a shaved off baseball bat that would lift you off the ground.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

My English teacher Mr. Tensor's paddle had holes drilled in it to increase speed and accuracy. :D I went home a couple times with my butt looking like a golf ball.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

Don P

Quote from: Jeff on August 01, 2020, 12:33:25 PM
My English teacher Mr. Tensor's paddle had holes drilled in it to increase speed and accuracy. :D I went home a couple times with my butt looking like a golf ball.
That's what I was thinking when I saw it, "he needs to drill out those stars" Not that I ever had any personal experience. Mr Mac could swing for the fences  :D 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Jeff on August 01, 2020, 12:33:25 PM
Why does this not surprise me? ;D
 When I was in junior high, I had a drafting teacher that would just throw things. First couple of offences he would throw black board erasers, then he would graduate to T-squares, and if you really got his goat he would throw a stool. I was a good student. ;D
 That same year, I had a female history teacher who would walk up and down the aisles and whack kids in the back of the head with here knuckles, not for any offence, just to 'keep them awake'. First time she did it to me I told her if she did it again I would swing back. She laughed. A few days later she did it again and I got up out of my seat and cocked my arm back. She says "You're going to the principals office!" I said "Good because that's where I was going right after this class anyway to talk to him about your behavior'. That really set her off and we went down together. The principal heard my side, then hers and sent me off to my next class. never heard another word about it. Apparently there had been a LOT of complaints and she had been warned several times. The next year she was gone after opening up a kids scalp with the rings she wore on her hands. I never objected to a deserved whooping, it was my fault after all, but a sucker punch out of the blue was a whole different thing.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Bruno of NH

My mom was a ninja with a wooden spoon. 
There was no waiting to your Dad gets home.
She took care of it.
My Dad worked out of town alot. :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

samandothers

Not sure how many Board visits I had.  The one I remember was when I was observing a fight.  I was not involved but too close to the action and got caught up in the sweep of offenders and punished as if I was involved.  

Ed_K

Sounds like catholic school to me :( :o >:(.
Ed K

sawguy21

I had to behave myself, my 6'3 280 lb dad was the high school shop teacher and vice principal. He was fair, nobody got it unless they had it coming including me but if the kid was dumb enough to get caught he was gonna get it. :D

Nebraska

Mom had one of those rubbermaid spatulas..... Never got it at school, threat was good enough.  Math teacher was really good at pitching erasers though.

BradMarks

I went to the principal once in grade school.  When my Dad got wind, he promised it would be more than twice as bad at home (with a belt). That cured me.

samandothers

I received in public school, but it was back in the 60's.

doc henderson

I got caught up in a deal in HS.  A girl I was friends with had spent the summer in Spain and was giving a program to the whole school.  I ran cross country with her brother  as well.  Their dad had died suddenly of a heart attack a few years before and we all supported them.  someone in the crowd of 750 students tossed a penny on the gym floor.  then another, then another.  I did not but was accused along with 13 other boys.  nothing corporal, but I was afraid she would find out and think the worst.  In college, I had the opportunity to give her a ride home.  we were able to talk and I made sure she knew I did not do it.  Had to stay some nights after school.  I also was not happy that the administrators thought I might have done that.  everyone denied involvement.  when we signed our kids up at central Christian school for the daycare, the contract made us give permission for corporal punishment, and I balked at that.  my kids were 1 and 3.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

curved-wood

It reminds me when the teacher had tried to hit me with a stick but I was faster then him and he miss me and hit the other student beside me that had nothing to do with the problem. Oh boy, did I got he second hit hard  ;D  Nothing to consult a psy when I became adult...just part of the game.

WV Sawmiller

I really don't think anyone but parents or whomever is filling that roll should spank children. I'm not opposed to spanking under certain circumstances but I see it as parental responsibility. It is not the job of the educators and others to spank kids - they have enough to do just trying to teach but they do not need interference from misbehaving kids. They should call the kids down then if more is required report them to the school admin who should take appropriate corrective actions so the other kids can learn. Unfortunately too many parents do not live up to their responsibility when they are notified and, at least in our small community, the school admin are reluctant to create waives or contact some parents due to petty local politics and such. I used to tell my brother who was reluctant to discipline his kids "They are going to get some discipline somewhere, sometime and it is better to be from someone who loves and cares for them than some judge or irate by-stander who is just tired of and not going to put up with their crap".
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

I pretty much agree with that. I grew up with "if you get it at school there's more to come when you get home" which just made me hide it whenever possible. When busing to solve a problem happened it also mixed the teachers, it was the right thing but kind of a mess for a long time after. We had one teacher that I've come in later years to realize carried some scars. A group of us boys got it every day. I sort of looked at it at the time as, well I am guilty of something every day so probably not undeserved. He did bust some blood vessels on occasion. He was an outlier and I doubt there is much of that in the schools nowadays but we did have several teachers who probably should have been in other institutions. I can only think of a time or 2 when Dad spanked me, the talk and shame did far more to correct the problem than any impact on my hind end could do.

doc henderson

most kids that get an appropriate upbringing at home, do not need that at school.  i think discipline is great and needed.  spanking can be a form of discipline.  the problem is parents are not consistent, and only finally spank the kid when they themselves get good and mad, ..  not the time to spank the kid.  some kids are constantly tortured with little slaps and hits, and that makes no sense either.  

davch00

I received a couple while in school and found out the dad wasn't joking when he said "if you get it there you are gonna get it here". That cured me from doing a lot of things my friends would do in school. 

caveman

I could probably hang with most of you reminiscing about the corporal punishment that I usually deserved and received as an adolescent but let's think for a minute what today's youth will talk about in 30-40 years when discussing the disciplinary measures taken to correct or punish their aberrant behavior.

Man, I sure do remember the time I had to wait a week to get sent home for two days, following the disciplinary hearing and interview with at least five school officials and my attorney, for vaping.

The day I had to stay after school and pick up trash for 30 minutes was the worst.

I had to go to the choice room (in school suspension for on class) for disrupting the class.  Wow, that really got my attention.

One time my teacher gave me an assigned seat that was not to my liking because he was so mean.  My conversations with my friend were important.

I did not get to go to the ice cream party at the end of the semester because I was sent to the dean's office for ...

Me:  I dreaded the paddle, the shaming and really dreaded my parents getting the call (usually I could convince the administrator to swing extra hard and forego the usual obligatory phone call home).  A call home from the school to my parents would result in "slow traffic and sad music" for me.  The punishment was swift, effective for a while, and over.  Today, the students who constantly misbehave usually have several offenses in the pipeline before they are assigned punishment and probably do not associate the punishment with the offense.

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!