iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newish M-14 Belsaw

Started by stoverguy, December 27, 2013, 02:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoverguy

First time post from a "lurker." Another belsaw has emerged from the woodwork.

I hope the picture thing works took forever to figure it out. I picked up this mill in eastern washington a few years ago and finally got around to building the frame and assembling it last winter. This site was a godsend in figuring out how to get it together and eventually turn out respectable lumber. The previous owner had it on wood and was only cutting short pieces for clocks out of fruitwoods.

The lumber has so far been pretty much going into my hunting cabin in Northeast Washington.

I know that since I have been following this forum the pictures have been some of my favorite. I hope you enjoy these. Lots to do still as there are plenty of upgrades that will be forthcomming. Just getting past the initial stages was something. I cringe now to think about how bad some of the first lumber to come off the mill was and yet how proud I was of it! I've probably turned out about 8 thousand bf now and have become somewhat comfortable with the saws performance. My little tractor gets a real workout as it is the primary mover around the mill. It has to load the deck and unload the lumber in between running the saw. I'm a little underpowered at 22hp on the pto but belsaw did rate the 40" blade I run at 20 to 40 hp. I picked up saw fileing years ago in a large band resaw mill. Civil engineer now, it pays way better. This is a labour of love more than anything else. I had the opportunity to run a belsaw at the local antique machinery show for a few years and just had to have my own. (I collect and restore antique engines specifically "stovers" hence the ID I use) I look forward to more posts now that my mill is actually producing lumber instead of stovewood. I want to thank the sponsers and all of the posters to this site that have made it possible to reassemble this machine. 

thecfarm

stoverguy,welcome to the foru. Now you can help others. looks like you have been sawing for a while by the pile of sawdust.
Is that a 1920 Ford?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stoverguy

It's a 1715 ford. I bought it when I built my house. It has proved to be a real workhorse. A little slow for moving large quantities of dirt but I never had to rent a single piece of equipment during the entire build. It did everthing I asked of it. Dug all of the water, power, trenching, foundation, and the drainfield and septic tanks. I have the backhoe attachment for it (off for milling) and built the forklift attachment for the front that replaces the bucket. Unlike some people who say they "built a house" I actually did. From the drawing board to the final coat of paint. Took two years of working on it EVERY day. (well, with time out for hunting season much to my wife's dismay) No I don't want to do it again......

thecfarm

I know what you mean about having a house "built" I just did the paying,someone else did all the work. I don't really have the know how to do it. I say I don't,but I might have to re do a few things every so often.  ::) You did good to get it done in two years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

Stoverguy, You did really well  sawing that lumber with that little horsepower,i imagine it was hard keeping your saw blade up to the proper RPM's, which dont usually produce smooth lumber.If you had 60 H.P. or so on it,would make sawing a lot more fun for you. ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Possum Creek

That lumber looks good. You got that belsaw tuned in just right. Nice work.   PC

thecfarm

And that poor little tractor did all the digging for the house too. I feel sorry for the poor thing.  ;D

mad murdock

Welcome aboard as a non lurker stoverguy !! You done real well on the mill and good job on the pics. Things look great!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bandmiller2

Welcome Stoverguy,my hat is off to you sir cutting with that HP,I have always had close to 100HP diesels and in large oak been wanting more.Keep your eyes pealed for an older large farm tractor even one with poor tires and give yourself  a power rush freeing up fordsy for outher duties.Rebuilding a ford 1710 for a friend now I don't see how you can do it. Nice looking camp. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, stoverguy, and I really admire everything that you have done.  I guess that my 1500 Ford is the baby brother.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hardtailjohn

Welcome Stoverguy!  Nice Belsaw!!  (I have one too)  Where at in NW WA?? I was in the B'ham/Ferndale area for 9 years.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

stoverguy

Sounds like you lived in the same general vicinity. I'm a whatcom county lifer. My place is west of the airport and I back up on the river. The new house is 300' away from the house we lived in for the previous 20 years. The new place will be my retirement home. After 30 years as a state consrtuction inspector I've about had enough. It's become a pretty difficult place to be a builder. These days it takes me 2 years to get a permit to fill potholes.....Thats part of what I like about the place I have in NE washington. I love it over there. A 300sf dry cabin didn't even require a building permit.

samandothers

Thanks for posting your work and success.  You have been a very busy guy.  Love the cabin and the privy too!  If you get the opportunity post a few pics of a 'stover', your other hobby.

stihlsawer

Nice mill and cabin! I am slowly working on my M14 build it will have a wooden frame with steel braces. Happy New Year and hope you have a blessed day! I look forward to seeing more and please PM with any other suggestions on my build.

Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

JimFX

Well done and thanks for sharing the photos ... they make a story so much more interesting......

Joe Lallande

When I first starting cutting on my Belsaw I tired to use my Ford 1920 diesel tractor. It has around 30 HP.  It was ok for small logs.  I had to rebuild the Oliver diesel that came with the saw which has 60 HP and what a difference an extra 30 HP makes.  Also, I would have my wife on the tractor to idle it back down and with the driveshaft behind her it made everyone aware of the dangers.

Thank You Sponsors!