iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie jumping in with both feet…finally!

Started by Cichlidgoob, January 02, 2014, 08:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Welcome to you too, Dant1969!  You're going to love this forum!

You asked about making money doing custom sawing.  You're in a completely different part of the country, of course, but I'll share my experience after doing JUST custom sawing for about a year and a half now.  Don't rely on it!  A fellow local sawyer here suggested I'd have all the business I wanted, because, while there are mills around, a lot of them don't advertise.  I think he was sincere in his advice, but it still takes time to establish a client base and to "get your name out there".  Business is growing, but I certainly couldn't feed a family on it at this point.  I'd suggest holding a "regular" job and custom saw on the side, until you get a feel for the amount of business out there.

The other thing I've learned is that a lot of business doesn't come to you -- you have to go out and get it.  Most people with urban trees have never even thought about converting them to lumber.  So I've established contacts with local tree services.  I check Craigslist about once a week to see who's selling trees/logs, then give them a call and let them know I have a portable sawmill.  I'm working on a couple of local cabinet shops to use local lumber rather than "importing" it from big mills.  And I keep my website up-to-date and make sure that someone who Googles "sawmills" in the area sees mine high on the list.  In other words, my experience says you'll spend a lot of time early on NOT sawing, and investing in advertising of many sorts (in addition to machinery).

The other thing is make sure you know what you want out of it.  Mike (cichlidgoob) just wants to go out and have some fun.  My "mission statement" is primarily to keep urban hardwood trees out of landfills and/or firewood piles (by doing what I love), and to make a little money (to supplement a pension).  If you're going to make a living at it, I agree with those above who suggest you'll have to find a niche market and not compete with the big-box stores.  In any case, I'd suggest in your business analysis, make sure you are still financially happy if you get 1/3 of the business you originally assumed.

Just my 2 cents -- sorry so long-winded!  And again, welcome!

Pete
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Bill Gaiche

Welcome to the both of you. Some people don't understand that working with wood is a pleasure to a person. You don't have to make money at it to have some fun. I do that and it takes money out of my wife's and my bank account in some way just about everyday. I cant  tell you how much I have spent on my little operation which is just a hobby, but thats ok. I have only made a return close to 3 or 4 times in the five years sense that I built my little bandsaw and kiln. The cost of sandpaper,finishes, stains, tools, blades, electricity, fuel aren't cheap. Some do repay for supplies. :) I just like doing it and see people with the satisfaction on there face when I give them what they asked me to make or just make them something which they didn't even know it was going to be just a gift. Making money would be great and it would help but its not everything to this guy. Good luck to the both of you and hope it makes you feel good at the end of the day for what you have done. bg

Lud

As I have a lot of hats....some of which are "sick lids" , I get it, but what's the goob?

Glad to see another bowl turner joining the gang.  Check out the General Woodworking thread and show us pics.  You know the bowl turner's "Squaring the Cant" , eh?  Deep cut, flip, deep cut, flip, on edge , deepish cut, flip, and again.  Out of the four slabs, measure width, cut that length.  You'll get 40 or more turning blanks you can cut round on a regular band saw and then Anchor seal the edges.  It's good to mark diameter, type and source, and date.  And you get to turn the best of the lot!

Oh yeah,  you can make some good lumber out of the cant and no edging by the way.  Not the greatest board foot producer,  but a functional technique! 8)

Welcome aboard to both of you!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Cichlidgoob

Hey, Lud,

I have absolutely no idea what you just said to me.   :-\  I know you explained how to get a mess of bowl blanks from a cant but I did not follow it.  Please elucidate - I'm intrigued.

The goob is just one of those synonyms for geek or nerd...it's all good.  Everyone understand the difference between geek and nerd...right?  That could be a whole new thread!
TK 1400

pineywoods

Quote from: Lud on January 04, 2014, 08:57:22 AM
As I have a lot of hats....some of which are "sick lids" , I get it, but what's the goob?

Been a while since I heard the term, but in my younger days, goob was a pretty common nickname. A variation was goober, remember goober on the old Andy Griffith show ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SawyerBrown

Been a while since I heard the term, but in my younger days, goob was a pretty common nickname. A variation was goober, remember goober on the old Andy Griffith show ?
[/quote]

Shazzam, I sure do!  Maybe that was Gomer ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

beenthere

Goober was Gomer's cousin, I believe.

Mike, welcome to the Forum... looks like you are in with both feet...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kelLOGg

Hey Mike,

Glad you made your decision on the mill. In addition to sawing when you visited, I remember sitting around the table sharing great conversations and I hope we can have more. You sent me an e-mail with a pic of the cichlid so I was sotra prepared for your member name ;D

When do you tkae possession of the new mill?

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Andy White

dant1969, and Mike
Welcome to the Forum. The best site on the web! Everyone here takes great pride in being able to help others with information and suggestions on any subject you may have questions about. Bill Gaiche said it best about enjoyment of this kind of work. I am about to complete my first project that I am taking from log to finished product using my own mill. The cost of something like this can't be measured in dollars, because if it were, I would have to take a mortgage on my place to pay for the privilege. Good luck with the new mill, and remember... We like lots of pictures!!!    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cichlidgoob

Bob,

The mill shows up sometime in February. I'm trying to get stuff organized so I'm ready for the big day. I have some big logs ready to go but I need to check for nails. I thought there would be some sawyer-specific metal detectors, and there are but it seems that many folks use a regular treasure hunting type detector. That surprised me but sounds like the way to go if I wanted two new hobbies at once!

I've read some posts on the forum about some blades cutting right through a nail or bolt, does that just require sharpening and setting or is that blade trash?  If I am worried about nails do I need a certain kind of blade that is more robust?

What kind of detector do you guys use?
TK 1400

drobertson

Howdy Mike, welcome and congrats on the mill, an old friend use to do the fish thing, I remember that name as well, been 30 years ago, funny how things stir the memory,  looks like you have plenty of neighbors in that area to pick for info,  take care,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kelLOGg

Mike,
If you hit a nail at 90° you can usually keep on sawing although not for long and the cut is not as smooth. If you hit a nail on the slant it will change the set on one side of the blade more than the other and the blade quickly dives or rises. I have never broken a blade on a nail; it can usually be reset and sharpened and is then good to go. (My breakages occur due to metal fatigue after much use.)
Are you getting a sharpener/setter?

I have a $39 HF wand type metal detector which I highly don't recommend because it is not reliable. You can spend an enormous amount on a metal detector and there are lots of threads on the FF on the subject. Many agree that the best detector is a bandmill :D ;D
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

SawyerBrown

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 05, 2014, 08:59:30 AM
I have never broken a blade on a nail; it can usually be reset and sharpened and is then good to go.

I send all my blades back to Woodmizer for resharpening.  I'd guess about 1/2 of the blades don't come back (they're replaced with new) after I hit a nail ... or something metal on the mill ...   :D

Cichlidgoob

My plan is to get a bunch of blades to start and try sending them to TK for sharpening and setting as needed. Based on the frequency and cost I will do whatever makes sense.  It seems as if there is a good many folks who send them back to the MFG and since that sounds better than doing it myself, it is my starting point.

I'm still struggling with the metal detector choice though because many of my logs come from places where posting signs, barbed wire, and holiday decorations could have been used.
TK 1400

kelLOGg

Quote from: kelLOGg on January 05, 2014, 08:59:30 AM
I have never broken a blade on a nail; it can usually be reset and sharpened and is then good to go.

I should add that I have ripped off as many as 10 - 12 consecutive teeth and the band still saws (for me, not a customer)

Thank You Sponsors!