iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

milling bog-oak or bog-fir, how practical is it?

Started by marcusthgault, January 03, 2014, 03:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcusthgault

I ask since we are surrounded by peat bogs.
Some contain piles of bog Oak, some bog Fir.
These were removed during peat cutting operations or subsequent land reclamation.
Many people have attempted to cut them up for firewood and given up.
But surely if out of a bog, they should not be gritty, well unlessen the roots.
I have trysted with a neighbour for a pile of bog fir, the intention was to fish out characterful pieces for to put in the flower garden for the Mrs.
However there a couple of trunks going on 30' long, by probably 30" dia, little over the 1/2 round left mind.............but remarkably straight..........................but with a very clear to be seen sprial grain.
I fancy trying to cut them after I get my hand in cutting low value Sitka.
(After I actually purchase a bandmill btw ;D ;D)
Cheers
Marcus
Am I wise?
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

Ianab

They recover and mill bog wood here in NZ, but I would think it's tough going. Although it might not be "sand", there is still a lot of dirt in and on them.

Here is an old post from member HSV about recovering some old Matai logs and sawing them with a Peterson mill.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,25817
The swing blade mills with the carbide cutters seem to handle this sort of job better, but I'm still guessing more sharpening is needed.

Then normal buried wood here is Kauri, which can be up over 10ft dia logs.

Big chainsaw mills for those.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nomad

Marcus I can't answer your questions.  However, if you want to send a couple of them across the pond so I can give you a first hand opinion, I won't turn it down! ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

kensfarm

Quote from: Ianab on January 03, 2014, 04:03:11 PM
Then normal buried wood here is Kauri, which can be up over 10ft dia logs.

Ian..  How did those huge logs get buried.. natural disaster? 

Ianab

QuoteIan..  How did those huge logs get buried.. natural disaster?

No one is really sure. Cyclone, tsunami, volcano are all theories that have been put forward. Something pretty devastating anyway. I suspect tropical storms, with heavy wind and rain, causing fallen trees and large landslides. They have been buried at different times, 10,000 to 50,000 years ago, so it's happened more than once. Some swamps actually contain layers of them, with a 10,000 year age difference.

They have also been able to research the climate by looking at growth rings of the different trees, and the pattern of the ring spacing. Now they are able to date a log pretty accurately by the ring pattern as they have a complete history from multiple overlapping logs.

The trees can live for over 1,000 years, so quite a span of history in one.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

marcusthgault

Ian,
Thanks for that link, fascinating stuff, kinda surprised that anyone would mill an absolutly  prime, very high value Kauri log with a wasteful chainsaw kerf cut though.
Quite amazing timber, from the small samples/examples I have handled.
Should eventually make real good coal, for future Civilizations.
cheers
m

Ianab

I think the chainsaw is mainly to break down those big uglies. There isn't much else that will handle 8 or 9 ft logs. Once they have clean and sensible sized cants they can use a band saw.

But then this is the guy that took a single 50 TON log and chainsaw carved it into a spiral staircase, INSIDE the log.  :o

No re-sawing, no veneer. Just a big lump of ~30,000 your old wood that you can walk up inside.

m wood

how is that bugger showcased?  looks like a museum or informations center.  way cool piece!
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Ianab

Quote from: m wood on January 04, 2014, 05:10:59 AM
how is that bugger showcased?  looks like a museum or informations center.  way cool piece!

It's just in their shop. You walk up it to the mezzanine floor.

http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/extract_raw_logs/kauri_log_staircase

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Rockn H

I like those stairs.  It looks like the second floor is butted up tight to the stump. 

marcusthgault

beenthere

Quote from: Rockn H on January 04, 2014, 09:46:42 AM
I like those stairs.  It looks like the second floor is butted up tight to the stump.
Does look like that... But from pic is hard to tell just how the second floor meets with the stump at that top landing. Maybe a cell phone pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!