iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band welding

Started by bandmiller2, March 18, 2015, 07:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

There must be a cutoff point where a band milling business would benefit from buying band stock in a large roll and welding their own bands. Do we have any sawyers here that do that.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

I have a lot of 14'-6" blades that I need down to 158"  so I am going to be trying to cut them and weld them as an experiment one of these days
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I'm pretty sure that band stock is just flat.  You either have to grind or stamp the teeth yourself.  Not sure you can get a roll with the teeth on.  But what do I know?  I'm not a doctor, I just play one in a movie..
Boy, back in my day..

sealark37

Yes, saw blade stock can be purchased in rolls for making your own blades.  Have a look at youtube, "Soldering band saw blades".  If you wish to weld your blades, blade welders are available for $800-$1000.     Regards, Clark

pineywoods

Welding up new blades from roll stock MIGHT be feaseable, but I doubt it would pay. Welding broken blades is a waste of time. I started a project a decade ago to pick up broken blades from other sawyers and weld them back together. Grind off the broken edges square and made a jig to hold the ends together. Tried gas, braze, silver solder, and mig. Annealed the weld and ground it flat. Then I found a sawshop with a resistance welder. $2 per blade.  Set, sharpen and put them back in use. They usually broke somewhere else before the first sharpening...Today's thin kerf band blades are a bargain. Oh yeah, I occasionally get a few that break after 2 or 3 sharpenings, but be honest, blade costs are a very small part of the cost of running a bandmill.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: pineywoods on March 18, 2015, 09:29:17 AM
Welding up new blades from roll stock MIGHT be feaseable, but I doubt it would pay. Welding broken blades is a waste of time. I started a project a decade ago to pick up broken blades from other sawyers and weld them back together. Grind off the broken edges square and made a jig to hold the ends together. Tried gas, braze, silver solder, and mig. Annealed the weld and ground it flat. Then I found a sawshop with a resistance welder. $2 per blade.  Set, sharpen and put them back in use. They usually broke somewhere else before the first sharpening...Today's thin kerf band blades are a bargain. Oh yeah, I occasionally get a few that break after 2 or 3 sharpenings, but be honest, blade costs are a very small part of the cost of running a bandmill.
WM double hard 158" 1-1/4 045 blades are only $18 each delivered (lower 48 I presume), when bought 60 at a time.  Can mix styles.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Right, but my thing is, I have a lot of brand spankin new blades that don't fit!
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Can't post them on FF or Craigslist and sell them?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

drobertson

they can be welded by tig, the main thing is knowing the base metal and carbon content of the base metal.  Resistance welding is the way to go hands down, just my opinion.  I've welded more steel cutting bands than I can count through 20+ years in the shop. 1/4" through 5/8",  the big horizontals took a 1", used the tig on these only a few times with success, but generally a pain in the butt.  As mentioned a lil earlier, by them, unless you want a start up band making facility or, just feel like doing it, either way, it could be done,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Quote from: 4x4American on March 18, 2015, 12:03:17 PM
Right, but my thing is, I have a lot of brand spankin new blades that don't fit!
Then you need more sawmills.  Problem solved.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Why didn't I think of that!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 18, 2015, 10:39:41 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on March 18, 2015, 12:03:17 PM
Then you need more sawmills.  Problem solved.   :D

Just what I was thinking MM. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

yea this makes sense,  1500 bucks for a welder, or 30,000 bucks for a mill,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on March 19, 2015, 07:42:35 PM
yea this makes sense,  1500 bucks for a welder, or 30,000 bucks for a mill,,

I was just kidding. :D :D :D :D smiley_wavy  Hi drobertson.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

smiley_wavy everyone...I like that one   

I wonder if it works for bye also?  lemme see

smiley_wavy

BYE!
Boy, back in my day..

Ga Mtn Man

Why are you still here?  :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

4x4American

What, am I vexing you?
Boy, back in my day..

Ga Mtn Man

You vexeth me not.  But you did say BYE!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

4x4American

hahah...hard to tell things over the internet!

Don't ya know the FF is an addicting place I couldn't just up and leave!
Boy, back in my day..

hunz

I wonder if that loc-tite 5 minute epoxy would work to rebond blades together? It sure would be a whole lot easier than welding!

Just actin' a fool! You really think I guzzled that much purple drank!? Uhhh...What!!....What!!!! What!!!!....yeaaahhh!!!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

You two pay attention now this is serious. When the weather gets better I may make a fixture to hold and accurately butt band ends. I think a momentary application of arc welder current will butt weld the two pieces then an anneal and smooth grinding. This morning the snow has a hard enough crust to support those hooved varmints Bambi and they were out stripping the bark on my fruit trees, was proud of my cat Mario he ran them out of the yard. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hunz

Great point Frank, I see what you're saying! I think if we factor deer activity into the annealing process, we should end up with a nice weld! Haha
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Chuck White

Quote from: hunz on March 20, 2015, 08:20:58 AM
Great point Frank, I see what you're saying! I think if we factor deer activity into the annealing process, we should end up with a nice weld! Haha

Or FOOD!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coastlogger

A mig welder with 023 or 030 wire does the weld fine,anneal after welding. I have done them successfully but once I fixed the mill "issue"  that was prematurely breaking my bands,I now discard my broken,well fatigued bands.
clgr

Thank You Sponsors!