iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new wood splitter

Started by johncinquo, August 20, 2008, 04:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

Been busy with all the summer chores and stuff, but wanted to stop in and post some pics of my new splitter.   30 ton, 9hp Robbins motor, 4 way wedge that slides off and on.  24" stroke.  Lg lift.   Certainly does one heckuva job.  I bought it from Harbor freight.  Yep, the cheapo chinese tool place.   I have been pleasantly surprised with it performance and strength.   Arrived on a pallet and I had to put it together.   On the 3rd day of use we were splitting open a real nasty piece and the wood "popped" and slammed into my hand, which I am pretty sure broke the bone where my thumb attaches to the rest of the bones.   It hasnt been fun getting things done since.   

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

SwampDonkey

Nice splitter John. Watch that knarly stuff and stuff not cut square on. Keep the hands off to the sides and not on end of the pieces. It's nice to have a splitter, but play safe to. Only one guy should be on the splitter at a time. Does the splitter have an automatic return after you pull the hydraulic arm back, that's convenient?  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I needed one of those last week. :D  Actually Bow Saw offered me his splitter but it was splitting pretty easy without.  I just didn't realize I would end up with 2 cords.   All cut, split and stacked.   Felt like a great accomplishment though.  I'll have a splitter one day.  For now, mine has an orange handle. ;D

sawmilllawyer

Hey Johncinquo, a friend of mine bought the exact same spilter a few months ago and he is very pleased with the performance of the motor and spliter. I helped him assemble it at my place so he could pull to his place in the sticks. Nice unit, good for you. Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Warbird

Mooseherder, those are some nice stacks of wood.  Well done!  Is that really only 2 cord?  It is difficult to tell in the pic but it sure looks like more than that.

Mooseherder

Quote from: Warbird on August 20, 2008, 08:58:45 PM
Mooseherder, those are some nice stacks of wood.  Well done!  Is that really only 2 cord?  It is difficult to tell in the pic but it sure looks like more than that.

It kinda felt like more also. :D
Maybe I figured wrong. ???  Each stack is 24ft long and just a tad over 4ft. high.
Clarification is in order. :P
Did  I figger right?

beenthere

You are right....if the length of wood is about 16"
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Thanks BT.
Some were under, some over but close enough. :D

johncinquo

No auto return.  It runs 24" and most of my logs are 16-18 with maybe 1/4 of them  20".   I would be running the ream a lot.   I guess you can put a stop in place, but I a not working that fast to justify the extra work to put on in. 

Cos was $1449 plus $61 delivery.  That has gone up to $1599 plus delivery via a quote. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

SwampDonkey

What we did on the home made one here was get a chain with a spring on the end and hook it to the handle via a loop in the spring so when you push it in, the cylender retracts all the way after you let go. The handle stays back until it's all the way in, then the handle releases, or kicks to neutral position,  with the spring stretched.  Does that make sense? The very worst that could happen is the cylender control lever goes to neutral position, the worst is that the splitter cylender is totally retracted.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

johncinquo:  That's not a bad price at all.  How much wood have you split with it, so far?  How is the ram speed on it?

That auto log lift is nice but I'm not sure that style would work for me.  One thing I really like about yours is that 4-way splitting head.  I need to check and see if something like that is available for mine.  The splitting head on mine is attached to the ram itself.

routestep

If your splitter came from China, maybe the wood pallet it came on came from China also. Burn it, before you catch the emerald ash borer, or emperor beetle of whatever else the Chinese export with their pallets.

Thank You Sponsors!