iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visitors at work

Started by redprospector, January 21, 2015, 01:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Ever get visitors at work?
I had to run this little guy off twice yesterday.

Anybody else get visitors?
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

luvmexfood

Last year about this time I had a doe and two of her fawns that would come around when I was skidding. Would stand about 50 ft. away and watch me get off the tractor, hookup and skid a log out and never attempt to run off.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

square1

Up here in snow country deer know if they hear a saw running there might be a fresh supply of food on the ground.  They often come to check it out.

rick f

We have about 5-8 that follow us around the woods. There right into the tops as soon as you leave with a twitch. We cut a ceder or 2 for them when a storm is on the way. 8)
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

thecfarm

I cut with a tractor on my land. I don't see anything that nice,horns,but do see alot of deer.I was cutting a bog off one winter, I would save a cedar tree for them to clean up each time I was down there. Would look like fish bones the next day. I was skidding the wood up to the landing about 500 feet away. I could see the deer in the woods waiting for me to leave each time. They would let me get close to them each time I came back.I see more deer on my tractor than when I am walking. Last winter I was cutting hard wood. I would cut the tops off and leave them for the deer. The next day I would twitch out the tops and leave some more for them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ilog4u2

What , no snow!! One of the many reasons why I love logging. The deer just know that your no threat to them. I'll never get tired of seeing them and watching them.

Texas Ranger

We were marking timber in a open, clean floor, piney woods several years back.  One of the hands walked up and said look behind us.  There was a coyote about 50 yards off, sitting there.  I asked how long had he been there, the guy said he had been following us for about 30 minutes.  He staid with us till we turned and went back on the line.

Friendly fella.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

redprospector

Quote from: ilog4u2 on January 21, 2015, 03:28:34 PM
What , no snow!! One of the many reasons why I love logging. The deer just know that your no threat to them. I'll never get tired of seeing them and watching them.
You just had to go and mention the fact that there was no snow!
This is the same spot where the deer was standing. I took this picture probably 2 hours after you posted about no snow.

The weather guessers are predicting 5" to 10" by tomorrow evening. Oh well, this is New Mexico, if you don't like the weather wait a few minutes.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

I tried to go to work this morning, and the state police had the road closed. :-\
What the heck is this world coming to? 6 or 8 inches of snow, and they close the roads.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: redprospector on January 22, 2015, 11:31:03 PM
I tried to go to work this morning, and the state police had the road closed. :-\
What the heck is this world coming to? 6 or 8 inches of snow, and they close the roads.

Do you have plows down there?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

redprospector

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 23, 2015, 06:39:11 AM
Quote from: redprospector on January 22, 2015, 11:31:03 PM

Do you have plows down there?

Yes, there are 5 or 6 state plows on that side of the mountain, and 5 or 6 on the other. They closed the schools too.  ??? When my kids were in school they wouldn't even delay the start of school unless there was over a foot of snow.

Back on topic. I went out to the job this morning, where there was about 7" of snow. The little buck was there with 6 girlfriends.  ;D

ilog4u2

Thank You Sponsors!