iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 666C Brakes and Steering Issues??

Started by coxy74, November 12, 2014, 04:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy74

Hi there all, Our machine has been sitting for a month or two now and not being used ( have been doing other work ) and today I fired her up to move her and pull some stuff, that's when I noticed that I now have no brakes and the steering lever is very hard/tight/sticks when turning to the left.
So question is, brakes, anyone had no brakes ( pedal just goes to the floor ) and how did you fix them?? steering, anyone had the same issue??

Thanks
Paul

oldseabee

Brakes, check fluid level. Does your machine have the enclosed mid mount brake in the rear frame? The fluid should be Dexron II. There are 4 bleeder screws, two on the brake housing, one in the hinge area on rear frame, and one on master Cylinder, start at the brake housing and work your way up to the master cylinder. If that doesn't work you could have corrosion in the master cylinder or brake assy pistons. If you have the old disc brake check the fluid level in the master cylinder or caliper on the disc, trouble shoot as you would any old brake system.
Power bleeder works better then manual bleeding.
As to the steering, could just be the pivots on the linkage are corroded or a valve problem. Disconnect the linkage from the valve and try to move the spool both ways to see if there is an internal valve problem causing it to bind up in one direction.

treeslayer2003

+1 on the steering, i made a bronze bushing to put my older clark to tighten things up. it was wore so bad it gripped and made it hard to steer.

coxy74

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on November 12, 2014, 07:50:54 PM
+1 on the steering, i made a bronze bushing to put my older clark to tighten things up. it was wore so bad it gripped and made it hard to steer.

Weekend job, pull the steering lever and assembly out and fix with as above! Just one quick question, is there a torque setting for the nut once you put it all back together, or just do up tight so you can move the steering lever with ease??

Thanks for the reply

treeslayer2003

hmmm, can't remember......that was years ago........i wanna say its a step bolt. if not ya won't want it super tight.

coxy74

Not to sure, I have reassembled it all, and covered everything in copper coat, and have put a new nyloc nut on it, and have tighten it up so its easy to move with no play, think I'll put a double nut on it just incase, so it doesn't come loose.

Thank You Sponsors!