iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1966 230C TJ question

Started by sandersen, November 18, 2014, 07:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

Hey guys,  Suddenly my old TJ won't go into gear at all...grind grind grind....both reverser and tranny shifter won't engage. .  It will if shut off though and when it starts it takes off fine.  My pedal is up and my brakes (which I've been working on and aren't the best)  want to stall it out when locked in.  My first thought was the throw out bearing but I've never heard any of the typical noise like the bearing was going out...but that may not mean much.  I'd greatly appreciate some tips.  Thanks.       
"Make every step count."

beenthere

Sure sounds like your clutch is not dis-engaging. Is there a linkage adjustment?
Can you feel the throw-out bearing when you start to push in on the clutch?
Any free travel in the pedal before contacting the throw-out bearing?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

Quote from: beenthere on November 18, 2014, 07:30:20 PM
Sure sounds like your clutch is not dis-engaging. Is there a linkage adjustment?
Can you feel the throw-out bearing when you start to push in on the clutch?
Any free travel in the pedal before contacting the throw-out bearing?
what beenthere says    most of the time on my skidder it takes the center out of the clutch  :-\

Mapleman

If everything seems OK with your clutch, it's possible that the pilot bearing that is in the center of the flywheel and supports the end of the transmission input shaft has seized up and is driving the input shaft even though the clutch is disengaging like it should. 
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

sandersen

OK, thanks guys...I'll try to check it out...sound like a tranny pull is in order, and then replacing clutch etc anyway, while its out.  Yikes. 
"Make every step count."

Mapleman

I dunno if this is the case with your machine, but for my 1966 225 with the detroit 353 I was told by a guy who did a lot of work on TJ's that is was easier to pull the engine and transmission together and then separate them once out on the shop floor.  Others may have different ideas or experience....
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

OntarioAl

Sanderson
Do not listen to such foolishness as "it is easier to pull the 3-53 and transmission" Not!
I have removed the transmission from 230 Timber Jacks  many times. If the transmission has never been out the bolt at the 6 O'clock position on the bell housing flange is difficult but not impossible to take out ( do not replace it when you go to re-install).
Al
Al Raman

David-L

I believe what OntarioAl is saying is true. I did my clutch overhaul at the end of the summer and the bell housing, reverser, tranny all come out as one once you take the other stuff out of the way. I did it alone with a chainfall attached to a chain that went over the roof to the arch and came out with a little cussing but not much. Lining it up would be easier with two people but I did it alone and it took about 1/2 to get it lined up right. I did not put the two bottom bellhousing bolts back in as they are a pain. I would get new clutch pucks and clips with the rest of the stuff. Bypass the reman psi plate and by a new one as I think I am having a spring issue on the reman I put in. Not really a bad job, I did mine at the landing.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

sandersen

Okay, many thanks guys for any and all input. 
"Make every step count."

coxy

when we do them we only put half the bolts back in and never had any trouble  its tight but can be done the hardest is the clutch rod on the bellhousing it gets snagged on the hoses coming out and when you put it back in and yes 2 people is a lot better but some times you cant find good help  ;D

sandersen

Once I get my transmission/reverser out I'd like to rebuild it...so once I put it back I'm good to go and don't have to worry about it anymore.  I'm thinking of doing it myself but I'm wondering if it'll be a real bugger of not too bad.  I'm hoping parts will be available should I need any.  As anyone rebuilt their own old BW tranny and reverser?  If so how much trouble can I get into?  Thanks.
"Make every step count."

chester_tree _farmah

Is it a T-98? If so they were very common back then, simple and parts are around. NP.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

sandersen

I'm not sure...I'll try to find out.
"Make every step count."

chester_tree _farmah

It will be cast right into the side. Typically the left side on the truck versions. It will say T-98 and some other numbers. It was a heavy duty transmission that came in the old ford trucks till mid  sixties  and jeep vehicles into the seventies. Good tranny.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

sandersen

On the left side of my tranny (nearest to the doorway) it reads: WG DIV  T9-1P  W-1
On the right side of my transmission (side nearest the fuel tank) it reads:  L2-1. 

The manual for a 225/230 shows a T98 stamped on the side, so not sure what I've got.  Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks.
"Make every step count."

bushmechanic

Does your reverse lever come straight out the top of the box or is it on the right side?

sandersen

Bushmechanic, Straight out the top of the box.
"Make every step count."

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

chester_tree _farmah

It is older than the T98 but still a good one. Probably not the original that came in the old girl. Plenty of parts around just Google Borg Warner T9 parts.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

sandersen

Wow, you guys rock. Thanks a ton!
"Make every step count."

Thank You Sponsors!