iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a round walnut table

Started by tule peak timber, September 18, 2019, 07:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Today I started a round walnut table and base 84 inches wide and 30 inches tall.Challenges are short time frame, sheer size and weight. The walnut top is actually a veneer ( 1 inch thick) that I put in the kiln yesterday with the carcass being Baltic birch plywood.It took me several days to figure out how to approach this build as I do not own a giant CNC machine. I will be doing things I've never tried before so I hope it works out ! This is a first in a series of 8 that the customer has tentatively ordered and I have free reign to interpret his photo supplied.

Cutting a dado to spline 2 sheets of ply together for the bottom template.

After a fresh grind with the big sander, liberal amounts of wax.It is super important that everything is flat as the angles on the top edge are referenced to the final build thickness/flatness. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Jeff

Oh boy I'm looking forward to this topic!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

From what I seen of your work in the past,I am sure you and the customer will be happy with the outcome of the tables.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

i'm in for this trip! Love your work.

doc henderson

glad to see you back in the funny papers here! 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Dang!!  I could help you carry the plywood around - after that my usefulness would be quite limited....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

Quote from: Southside on September 19, 2019, 09:58:50 AM
Dang!!  I could help you carry the plywood around - after that my usefulness would be quite limited....

At least you can carry the plywood!

Lookin forward to the progress!

tule peak timber

The first router template came out great.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

21incher

Love watching your projects come to life. From the size of everything you build
I am starting to think you live in the land of giants. 🕌
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

low_48

1" thick wood glued to plywood? Doesn't that violate everything we know about seasonal wood movement? I can't imagine it won't self-destruct this winter when the walnut shrinks.

Hilltop366

tule peak timber

Quote from: low_48 on September 20, 2019, 10:46:40 PM
1" thick wood glued to plywood? Doesn't that violate everything we know about seasonal wood movement? I can't imagine it won't self-destruct this winter when the walnut shrinks.
Normally yes,,,,stay tuned.

olcowhand

Quote from: Southside on September 19, 2019, 09:58:50 AM
Dang!!  I could help you carry the plywood around - after that my usefulness would be quite limited....
That's why I promote the inverse for myself; My use-LESS-ness knows no limits!
I too, will be looking forward to following this post.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

tule peak timber

Hacking out the frame today. I cringe at the price of 1 inch Baltic birch -165$ per sheet , especially when I'm cutting most of it away. I could have segmented the  frame but I don't have time.

Glueup tonight

Andries

"Glue up tonight"
So modest!
We gots to pay attention folks, cause this guy has a PhD. in epoxy. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tule peak timber

Hey,,,, where are my brookies?? only rainbows and browns this year !

tule peak timber

Quote from: Andries on September 21, 2019, 07:23:32 PM
"Glue up tonight"
So modest!
We gots to pay attention folks, cause this guy has a PhD. in epoxy. 😆
Standard 2 coat then a third with a thickner. I wipe the edges to promote wicking- glue with roots.

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Our Canadian brookies are safe for another year, Rob. 😆  They'll be bigger an badder by the time you finally tear yourself away from these amazing projects of yours.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

This is a pretty amazing project. I am glued to the progress.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

yes @Old Greenhorn we see what you did there.   :)  let us know if you get epoxied to the project!   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on September 22, 2019, 10:38:14 AM
yes @Old Greenhorn we see what you did there.   :)  let us know if you get epoxied to the project!   :D
I didn't do nuttin'! Glue can be undone, epoxy, not so much. ;D
 This a just a really neat, really large endeavor and Tule always does such fine work. I can't wait for the next photos each day.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

I am sure he will post more when he gets round to it.... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

olcowhand

Let's "table" the puns, and let Rob work......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Thank You Sponsors!