iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinion: Band wheel w nothing btw blade and wheel

Started by chisel, June 05, 2004, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoo

Kind of late replying to this one.

My Logmaster mill runs crowned steel bandwheels. The tensioning is with a hydraulic system with no spring tension or give. There is a blade scraper just before the guide on the outgoing side. So far nothing seems to have stuck to the blade & gone around the wheel. I suppose you never know though.

chisel

QuoteKind of late replying to this one.

My Logmaster mill runs crowned steel bandwheels. The tensioning is with a hydraulic system with no spring tension or give. There is a blade scraper just before the guide on the outgoing side. So far nothing seems to have stuck to the blade & gone around the wheel. I suppose you never know though.

MrMoo,

Better late than never!  :D
I'll add a blade scraper to my list of "options" on the mill I have in my head (and soon to be reality?). :)

Thanks for the info.

Fla._Deadheader

I posted on this thread waaay back. Maybe I should clarify a little. We saw logs that have loose chunks falling off (Pecky Cypress) that CAN get bounced around and HAVE gotten caught between the housing and the blade AND the wheel-tire.

We have a wire brush-scraper mounted AFTER the fixed blade guide, so, it's possible that the pieces did NOT actually go through the guide, but, bounced around inside the housing and got jammed into the blade and tire.  

Every once in a while, we get a loud thump and see pieces fall out the top of the blade housing that's between the two wheels. Every piece does NOT go out the chute.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!