iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit Diesel governor

Started by bandmiller2, January 30, 2008, 05:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Getting a 671n diesel for my circle mill project,it's a truck engine with a limiting speed gov.I've done alot of thinking and reading on the subject.If I set the gov. to 1800rpm top speed and open the throttle it should hold the speed at 1800.???
the engine is about twice the horsepower I need but I'll cut the speed back ,quiet it down a little.I'am not into big production,  old, and I don't like things happening too fast.thanks Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

diesels have governors built into the pump, it will give it more fuel as needed.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WH_Conley

Quiet down a Detroit? Is that possible? :D
Bill

logwalker

It is possible but you don't get much work done when you stop them.  :D :D
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Brian_Rhoad

I have a 6-71 truck engine running my chipper and hammermill. It should work for your mill. Don't slow it down too much. I had a 4-71 that the previous owner ran too slow. It had so much carbon at places, you could barely push a pencil through the holes. The main thing is to keep the temperature up to get your best performance.

bandmiller2

I mentioned 1800 it should be happy there thats the speed gensets are turned.I'll quiet it down then stop it from puking oil out the air box drains,yea sure.thanks guys Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brian_Rhoad

Puking oil is how I found out I needed to rebuild my 4-71. It built up pressure inside and blew the oil out the breathers.

J_T

My perkins is running about 1700rpm I would have to ckeck but I think my drive pulley is 10"and driven 21"somewhere close about .Don"t think that limit govoner will add fuel when needed as it is different type govoner than a power unit setup ???But if you are running 1700 and the drive and driven pulleys are of the right size with enough belts you won't know the difference .My blade stays 550rpm in the cut an that is all you need it to do .Burns 1gallon per hour not bad .
Jim Holloway

ladylake

All truck and farm tractor diesels give more fuel as power is needed. I've driven truck for 30 years and if you hold the throttle in one postion going up a hill the turbo boost gauge will go up (a lot) thats the governor adding fuel.   Farm tractors are the same no matter what speed you set the throttle they start barking when you put a load on them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!