iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are you uncomfortable using any portion of your land?

Started by bigtrees, May 10, 2019, 07:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

And I always thought that NEW YORK WAS THE TAX STATE!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

I think there is a race between VT, NY and Mass as to who will have the highest overall taxes.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Southside

Any of you have a pine lumber tax - not sales tax, specifically a pine sawn lumber tax paid by the mill above and beyond the sales tax, an egg packer tax, or a milk processor tax?  We do...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

hedgerow

Quote from: btulloh on May 14, 2019, 01:05:54 PM
If it were me, I'd be appealing to the assessors's office.  Here in my county, they'll up the assessment and if you don't appeal they get their money, but in many cases an appeal will be successful.  Seems to be a trend in everything from insurance rates to Sirius radio subscriptions.  Every year I get re-billed $240ish for a single subscription.  I call to cancel and end up back at $120.  Seems like the game that's being played across the board now. I guess if the frog in the pan of water doesn't complain about the temperature, he's going to boil.

===

I guess this topic has veered a little off the path.  That is so rare.  About time to swap gumbo recipes and sacrifice some of Yellowhammer's chickens.   :D
Trust me we go round and round with the assessor's many a time. But with land still selling high to make acreages you don't have a leg to stand on. 

SawyerTed

Our closest neighbors are 3/10 of a mile away.  We rarely see any of them.  Between us and my BIL, we won't have neighbors any closer unless they are family.  We get along fine with most of our neighbors except one couple.  That one couple are the only ones we ever have trouble with, mostly minor stuff.  The lady is as nutty as squirrel droppings.....  

We use all of our property without worrying about the neighbors watching.    I've shot deer from my deck and front porch as well.  

Thankfully our county allows a lower propery tax rate for agricultural land.   We have a cow/calf operation and either graze or make hay to keep tha Ag rates.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Chuck White

In NY, neighbors can file charges if you are within 500 feet of their occupied dwelling when you fire your gun!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GRANITEstateMP

Here in NH if you have at least 10 acres being used for ag of tree type uses your land can be put into "current use". Fellow Granite Stater's chime in if I get this wrong. When we built our house, we had a 21 acre lot, the whole lot was in current use (trees / forest).  Taxes were a bit over $40 a year.  When we built the house we took about 2.5acres of that outta current use and paid a one time fee (10% of what similar 2.5 acre lots on town were going for) I think about $6,500. So we are now taxed on 2.5 acres at full value and 18.5 acres a current use levels.  Our annual tax bill is about $4,100.  It breaks down to 18.5 acres of current use land is under $100 and our 26x32 cape and 2.5acres covers the rest.  It's not perfect,  but it keeps folks from subdividing everything if they can afford to keep it whole.
We dont have sales tax in NH, I think that's great till the property tax bill comes in, then I scratch my head and think there must be a better way! 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

Back to the ops original question; I figure it's my land, I am gonna do what I please!  If that means cutting firewood every Sunday morning, then so be it.  If I wanna sight in my pistols in the back yard "range", yup gonna do that too.  I get along great with the neighbors, they know me as the guy that makes a bunch of noise and waves from his tractor seat.  They also know that I'm  there to lend a helping hand when there mower breaks down or they get plowed in.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Peter Drouin

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on May 14, 2019, 10:05:04 PM
Back to the ops original question; I figure it's my land, I am gonna do what I please!  If that means cutting firewood every Sunday morning, then so be it.  If I wanna sight in my pistols in the back yard "range", yup gonna do that too.  I get along great with the neighbors, they know me as the guy that makes a bunch of noise and waves from his tractor seat.  They also know that I'm  there to lend a helping hand when there mower breaks down or they get plowed in.

You could have not said that better than that.  THAT"S the NH way.
usflag
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

rubberfish

Are you uncomfortable using any portion of your land?

Absolutely not. It's ours, and my family will do with it as we wish.
If the neighbours don't like it and we're not doing anything unlawful, they can screw off.
Once they understand this, they'll find that for the most part we're good people and easy to get along with.
This applies to both my 1/4 acre here in the city and my 11 acres over there in paradise.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

TW

I try to avoid disturbing the foundations of some 19th century cottages as well as the potato patches those poor sods cleared on a rocky hillside where they had to remove huge amounts of boulders just to grow enough potatoes to survive. I just cannot destroy their backbreaking work though it is all overgrown with trees by now. After all I am only one in a long line of caretakers of this land.

I also try to be considerate and keep the edge on our wood which is just a few metres from a neighbour's house as tidy as I can with a reasonable effort. To make his life as half disabled on minimum retirement a wee bit more enjoyable. He deserves a nice surrounding to enjoy when he sits in his tiny garden.

There are also some footparths used by people from the village which I avoid disturbing. Anyone has a legal right to tresspass anywhere they want in the woods as long as they travel by foot and don't damage growing trees nor crops. That is law in Finland. It is a fact of everyday life that legal trespassers are excellent guards against crooks and vandals and poachers of all sorts so I try to not hinder their passage in any way. They look after our property just as I look after other villager's properties when I trespass across them.

Then there is about half a hectare (an acre) which I am very uncomfortable using...... because getting there is a very uncomfortable undertaking and getting the logs out is even more uncomfortable. Huge boulders are piled upon one another since the end of the ice age so you don't walk there you crawl and climb. Last winter I fell into a two metre deep hole and ended up unable to walk for a week when I salvaged a windfall up there.

rubberfish

Quote from: TW on May 17, 2019, 05:48:04 PM
That is law in Finland. It is a fact of everyday life that legal trespassers are excellent guards against crooks and vandals and poachers of all sorts so I try to not hinder their passage in any way. They look after our property just as I look after other villager's properties when I trespass across them.

Isn't it nice living in a rural environment? My area in the Gulf Islands is like that.
We all have 10 acres or better. Lots of deer trails to follow which don't always
follow property lines. We all get along well enough. So it's ok to end up out of bounds.  ;D
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Thank You Sponsors!