iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15Go assembly and transporting

Started by Cambium, February 17, 2019, 11:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambium

Today I joined this forum as I happened to stumble upon this site by accident and I'm loving it. I'm currently living in the northern part of Washington state, and I'll be in the market to purchase the LT15Go sometime this year and had some questions, but after reading many of the posts on this site, it answered most of my questions except for these:

• When I eventually purchase LT15Go from WM, can I ask it to be assembled on site so that I can tow it home? If so, how much extra does it cost to assemble it, so that I can drive off with the LT15Go from the WM branch (Portland, Oregon). Is that even possible?
  • I will eventually add an extension so it can cut 24' Post beams. Is it better to buy the 6'8" extension at the same time I purchase the LT15Go to save drive time and sales tax or should I wait for few months to see if I really need it? 
  •  Are there any other things that might be helpful for me to know before I purchase the LT15GO (it might be a while...saving up money now)? or when transporting it home?  

Thank you,
Jon

charles mann

i thought oregon was no sales tax. 
how soon do you plan on needing the extension? if within a few months, it might be better to go ahead and buy the extension at the same time and roll hm with it. it would save you a 6-7 hr round trip drive plus fuel and dealing with traffic. 
i can't answer for oregon, but the wm dealer for my area said the units would assembles at their location, plus a lil training and overview of the operation of the unit. i would assume it would be the same for all locations. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Cambium

Oops. You're right about the sales tax. I forgot about that...thanks for pointing that out. Your point about round trip fuel cost is well taken. I'll most likely include the extension when I purchase the LT15Go and then figure out the details on how to mount the extension and what outrigger to buy, etc... once it sits on our property.

I will try to reach out to Portland WM Dealer directly and ask if they offer the same service as your dealer (free assembly/training at the dealer). Thank you for your reply.

charles mann

Quote from: Cambium on February 18, 2019, 01:02:54 AM
Oops. You're right about the sales tax. I forgot about that...thanks for pointing that out. Your point about round trip fuel cost is well taken. I'll most likely include the extension when I purchase the LT15Go and then figure out the details on how to mount the extension and what outrigger to buy, etc... once it sits on our property.

I will try to reach out to Portland WM Dealer directly and ask if they offer the same service as your dealer (free assembly/training at the dealer). Thank you for your reply.
i didn't say it was free assembly. i just said they would assemble it and do a lil training. it could be free, but at the time, i was just kicking tires so to speak and wanted to get some ideas for my build, but the 15 wide was extremely appealing to me, but its not offered as a trailered unit. so i'll do my own trailer install "kit" just so i can move it around the property. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Cambium

Got it. Thank for the clarification. Actually, I haven't fully decided on LT15Go. It could change down the road but for now, that seems to be most attractive. I now have seconds thoughts about switching to LT35 hydraulic only if I can afford it...

thecfarm

Cambium,welcome to the forum.
You will need a cantdog,or a peavey. Get it from Logrite,sponsor on the left. Made in the USA. Get some Blue Creeper too. The site will tell you the difference of a peavey and a cantdog. I myself prefer a peavey,the one with the point,to pry logs apart.
Cutting beams? For a house?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Cambium!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

randy d

the first lt15 that I bought was assembled  the cost at that time was 400$. the last one I bought was in the crate my grandson and I assembled it in about 3 hours not that hard Wood Mizer has good plans. I don't think I would want the extra length to tow around its not hard to add the extension when you get to your saw site.

WV Sawmiller

Cambrium,

Welcome. The answers you need are available from WM as to the cost. As to the extension that is something only you can answer. What kind of support equipment do you have if you are going to be cutting long beams and such. I have never seen the issue addressed about extensions on trailer mounted saws. I am sure the extension has to be supported but never thought about how that is done. I can assure you you will not regret the hydraulics if your budget will support it.

When you talk to WM ask them about demo models in your area. They may be doing a show near by and you might be able to buy the lightly used demo model at a good discount and save on some transport issues. Good luck. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Buy everything you can at the same time.  I originally thought I would buy an LT15.  My wife and friends watched videos of the LT 15 and the LT35.  They all convinced me that the hydraulic mill was the way to go. 

It has paid about 2/3rds for itself in a year. If all goes well it will be paid for by June. 

I wish I'd bought the siding jig when I bought the mill.  It was offered at a discount but I didn't think I could afford it st the time. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Cambium

The more time I spend reading posts on this site the more I'm convinced that I would be better off in the long run getting a Hydraulic like LT35 even it means I have to wait a little longer. I did get hold of WM rep in Oregon who confirmed the cost to assemble for LT15. However, he did mentioned that the LT35 already comes assembled.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!