iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Precious metal in Highly Valuable Black Walnut

Started by Brad_bb, December 28, 2016, 03:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I also have a Garrett 250 but it was more than $150. 

My favorite is the Bounty Hunter Nail Finder.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sheepkeeper

Quote from: paul case on January 01, 2017, 11:12:28 PM
I always wondered if they would detect metal deep enough in wood to do any good?

I have a Tesoro Silver microMax that will detect metal six inches deep in the wood. With practice you can gauge how deep the metal is by waving it above the surface. I keep finding my steel-toed boots with it  :D
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Al_Smith

I haven't personally hit metal but I have bought a few Woodmizer blades for a sawyer who did on my logs .

An apple tree got it's revenge on me from building a tree house at about 10 years old .50 years later I discovered the nails while dead wooding it.New 14'"loop of Stihl pico chain for a 200T saw .

carykong

Any opinion on Garrett pro pointer hand held?
Under $150

Kbeitz

Quote from: carykong on January 02, 2017, 04:38:30 PM
Any opinion on Garrett pro pointer hand held?
Under $150

That's what I use... I got on off E-bay for 1/3 that price.
I think it works good. The only problem I have with it is I need
to check the log before it get anywhere close to my sawmill.
It even picks up nails on the ground. I can't get close to the mill.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

You should never attempt to check a log for metal when it is close to or on the sawmill anyway.  As previously mentioned, steel toe boots will also give you a reading. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Yes, you have to make sure that there isn't metal under it, like forklift forks.  I haven't wand'ed logs unless I suspect something.  Reclaimed timbers or boards, I absolutely want and I do it on the saw horses.  The other problem while wanding is if you are on concrete and have the log or timber near the floor.  You can pick up the rebar or mesh in the concrete. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!