iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big snow coming to the NorthEast

Started by kensfarm, January 21, 2016, 08:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Read in the local paper today that a 56 year old man in a neighboring town died of carbon monoxide inhalation when a snow plowed went by as he was shoveling out his car.  Apparently he had started the vehicle and was inside when the plow threw enough snow onto his vehicle that he couldn't get out.  I wondered why he wouldn't have turned off the car and sounded the horn?  No cell phone with him to call? 
Say when

Chuck White

Some of us in this area have found that if you mount the mailbox on a big enough post, the snowplows will avoid hitting it every time!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

Happy Birthday, Chuck White!   8)
Say when

curdog

Quote from: timberlinetree on January 26, 2016, 06:26:10 AM
Thought it was neat that they use sea water to salt the roads in east NC!

They use a brine solution on all of our roads  (not sure the exact makeup of it), they may use sea water down east  (?), but they don't use sea water in the western part of the state.  This last snow storm they didn't put anything down since it was forecasted to start as rain before it switched over to snow.

John Mc

Quote from: 4x4American on January 25, 2016, 09:52:13 PM
Quote from: John Mc on January 25, 2016, 06:09:23 PM
Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 25, 2016, 04:43:10 PM
In NYC, they just put plows on the front of garbage trucks.  They're not too fussy about people being in their way.

Nobody in NYC seems very fussy about people being in their way, snowstorm or not.

Not sure you guys have been to NYC :D

When you're at a red light in NYC, the second it turns green, whether you're moving or not, everyone is on their horns, letting you know, that the light is green, now get the heck outta my way!  :D  it's awful, really.  I just watched a funny vid on facebook of a new england plow driver burying peoples cars and laughing about it.  It was a riot..

That exactly what I meant. In NYC, they are not fussy about whether you are in your way, they just drive right through you. We used to take the train into NYC when I was in college. I grew up in a small Ohio farm/manufacturing town, where you waved and said hi to everyone you passed, whether you knew them or not. It was an eye opener walking in NYC: you'd cross the street, the light would change midway, and the oncoming cars would aim for you.

It's a little different here in VT. If you are waiting to pull in to traffic (or at least what VT'ers call traffic), you only have to wait 2 or 3 cars before someone stops to let you in. If you are standing next to the side of the road and it even looks like you are THINKING of crossing the street, traffic will generally stop and wait for you to cross. When we see someone speed up to keep another car from entering traffic, pedestrians can often be heard muttering "must be from New York".
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Melting steadily here but supposed to be 52 Saturday and 60 Sunday. I may be able to get back to the mill and finish my shed then.

If the grandkids want to ride behind Grandpa's 4 wheeler on the snow racers they better be here Saturday morning before all gone. Up to now been too deep to drive the 4 wheeler in it anyway.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

snowstorm

Quote from: Chuck White on January 26, 2016, 07:41:54 AM
Some of us in this area have found that if you mount the mailbox on a big enough post, the snowplows will avoid hitting it every time!   ;)
the only trouble with that is its considered a fixed deadly object [ in maine it is] then some drunk goes off the road hits then sues you. its been done before. maine law states nothing bigger than a 4x4 wooden post

4x4American

Quote from: snowstorm on January 28, 2016, 09:15:09 AM
Quote from: Chuck White on January 26, 2016, 07:41:54 AM
the only trouble with that is its considered a fixed deadly object [ in maine it is] then some drunk goes off the road hits then sues you. its been done before. maine law states nothing bigger than a 4x4 wooden post

Who'd have thunk it!
Boy, back in my day..

sawguy21

Who does he sue when he hits a tree?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 28, 2016, 10:01:38 PM
Who does he sue when he hits a tree?

Everybody! The state, the county, the landowner and the car manufacturer.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

As far as I've ever heard, in NY there is no spec as to what the mailbox will be mounted on, but it has to be a certain distance from the edge of the road and if you're at that distance, you're golden.

Myself, I got lucky in that Nat. Grid replaced the power pole in front of my house and they planted the new one next to the old one (1½') and we cut the old one off, "mailbox height", so it worked out pretty good!

4x4American

my friends old man was having problems with hit mail box being a target of mailbox baseball, after the second or third time he put an all steel mailbox a few feet down into poured concrete.  That sucker is stout.  Hasn't had any more troubles, even the snowplow avoids it lol
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

It's illegal to place a mailbox post here that will not shear off.  Wood only.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

Wooden 4X4 for a mailbox post here too.  The Road Commission will remove one any bigger themselves.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chuck White

My mailbox post is wood, but it's a big one!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: John Mc on January 26, 2016, 08:27:58 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on January 25, 2016, 09:52:13 PM
Quote from: John Mc on January 25, 2016, 06:09:23 PM
Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 25, 2016, 04:43:10 PM
In NYC, they just put plows on the front of garbage trucks.  They're not too fussy about people being in their way.

Nobody in NYC seems very fussy about people being in their way, snowstorm or not.

Not sure you guys have been to NYC :D

When you're at a red light in NYC, the second it turns green, whether you're moving or not, everyone is on their horns, letting you know, that the light is green, now get the heck outta my way!  :D  it's awful, really.  I just watched a funny vid on facebook of a new england plow driver burying peoples cars and laughing about it.  It was a riot..

That exactly what I meant. In NYC, they are not fussy about whether you are in your way, they just drive right through you. We used to take the train into NYC when I was in college. I grew up in a small Ohio farm/manufacturing town, where you waved and said hi to everyone you passed, whether you knew them or not. It was an eye opener walking in NYC: you'd cross the street, the light would change midway, and the oncoming cars would aim for you.

It's a little different here in VT. If you are waiting to pull in to traffic (or at least what VT'ers call traffic), you only have to wait 2 or 3 cars before someone stops to let you in. If you are standing next to the side of the road and it even looks like you are THINKING of crossing the street, traffic will generally stop and wait for you to cross. When we see someone speed up to keep another car from entering traffic, pedestrians can often be heard muttering "must be from New York".

So true.  I was born in Southern California and our family moved to NY when I was 11.  I finished up Community College and moved to Sacramento for my 4-year degree.  I came back that first summer to work in "the City" with my dad.  It was ingrained in me from birth - cars stop for you to cross the street  :D :D  My first day "on the job" I go out to lunch with my dad.  As I stepped off the curb, he grabbed my shoulder and yanked me back.  A city bus was blowing through the red light and would have taken me out. :o
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

4x4American

ljohnsaw that was a close one!  I was driving in nyc once and there was a merge.  Well a cheese bus wanted to cut me off, he started going and once he hit my mirror i backed right off and let him go the busses are the worst.  Guy I know been working in nyc all his life, he said he used to drive a stake rack truck in the city.  Well if a bus driver ticked him off, he'd go right beside it, get the busses mirror stuck in his stake rack, and slam on the brakes.  Said it'd rip the mirror right off.  He said that then the bus could not travel any further.  A bus cannont drive without a mirror in the spots they have to be.  Then they have to bring a new bus in and transfer all the passengers...nice place huh
Boy, back in my day..

coxy

I  live 2h10min from that crap hole been there 2 times and that was more than enough the wife goes there 7-8 times a year and tell me I should go  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

4x4American

It amazes me that some people go there for fun!  (or live there for that matter)

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!