iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 653E

Started by Firewood dealer, December 01, 2014, 07:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewood dealer

I am thinking seriously about going CTL. I have a 653E with a bunching head on it now. The carrier is in very good shape, so I am thinking about putting a processing head on it. I have seen some with the Fabtek 4 roll head on them from the factory. What I am woundering about is, the pumps. Is there enough flow/pressure to run the head?? I would think there is plenty of flow, it is enough to run the saw disc. Without knowing which head I would end up with and it's pressure and flow requirements it might be a gamble. I called Nortrax to get some info but the results were as I had figured 0. I could also hire a good hydro guy to come out and test everything, but I am going to pick your brains first.

lumbertick

Should be plenty of hyd. Power... They may have to adjust the pressure of it one way or the other... That 4 roller head is tough... What type of wood you usually cut?

Firewood dealer

We tend to be in hardwood and bushy hemlock.

snowstorm

hemlock limbs harder than hw

Firewood dealer

Yea I know. If I get the right match for the machine, hopefully it can do it ok.

BargeMonkey

Ive seen a few 653E's with a 4 roller up your way, i would track one down and go scope it out. Lakeshore has a near mint 4 roller sitting there with the 3rd wheel. He might be a good one to talk to about the swap.

furltech

I picked up wood from a 653 that had a 750 logmax 0n it for about six months seemed to handle it ok

snowstorm

dosent the fabtek head have the valves on the machine? where most others have them on the head. so you would need the valve bank that fabtek used and a lot of hose. the last 1" 4 wire hose i bought was $14 a ft. most dangle heads have the valve bank on the head. they would have one pressure hose a return some a case drain hose and one for the boom cable. then wire the computer and controls in the cab. if you had a parts machine sitting beside it to take everything off from it might not be to bad. i went the other way with mine. the rottne head had the valves on the machine the keto on the head. i took a lot of hose and steel lines off. as a wild guess i would plan on at least 10k for valves and hose if you find a cheap used valve. anything can be done if you have money enought

Southside

There are valves on both the carrier and on the head, the lions share are on the carrier, but there are still some smaller functions on the head itself.  I think my macine has 10 hoses that run up and over the boom. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Firewood dealer

Quote from: Southside logger on December 02, 2014, 08:07:27 AM
There are valves on both the carrier and on the head, the lions share are on the carrier, but there are still some smaller functions on the head itself.  I think my macine has 10 hoses that run up and over the boom.
Yea that's right. My business partner and I were at your shop this spring when you were rebuilding the motor on your Rottne and you had mentioned that then. I like the idea of minimal hoses running from the head to the carrier. I guess I will have to do a bunch of research to see what will work.

Firewood dealer

Sorry Southside, I meant to quote Snowstorm!! :D I wouldn't mind a road trip to check out your shop also so don't feel bad. LOL

snowstorm

a few of the things i ran into. my machine is plumbed so the oil from the pump goes to a valve that feeds the head. that valve has to be proportional. because not all functions can use full flow.the saw and feed do. but the knifes wouldnt know what to do with 85gpm. i did find some old sales lit from the mid 90's for a series 2000 18" fabtek. it says min. of 35gpm@4100PSI.  35 gpm inst a lot of oil flow. it also lists feed speed at 10-15' per sec. you should come up and watch mine sometime

Firewood dealer

I would like to. Where are you working now?

snowstorm

Quote from: Firewood dealer on December 02, 2014, 07:32:49 PM
in the rocky mountains of swanville

Firewood dealer

If I get a chance to come up that way, I will PM you for directions.

Maine logger88

Quote from: snowstorm on December 02, 2014, 07:34:20 PM
Quote from: Firewood dealer on December 02, 2014, 07:32:49 PM
in the rocky mountains of swanville
Where's that over by the crooked side of the lake?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Southside

Any interest in a complete machine?  I bought mine for a big job that did not happen so it only gets a couple hours of use a week now.  Of course 5% to the FF if it sold as a result of this.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Firewood dealer

Quote from: Southside logger on December 02, 2014, 10:42:09 PM
Any interest in a complete machine?  I bought mine for a big job that did not happen so it only gets a couple hours of use a week now.  Of course 5% to the FF if it sold as a result of this.

Just sold a 490 this spring with a Rotosaw head on it.

Thank You Sponsors!