iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV Accidents

Started by Phorester, June 03, 2007, 08:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I don't want to offend the ATV purists on the Forum, but I have suffered several "ATV attacks" on my property.  The attackers usually run in herds, and chew up the land.  They come in fast, and they leave fast.  It is almost always young boys without property, so they rove the neighboring environs.  I guess that is just the way young teenage boys are, but it is irritating that they do not respect others property :-\.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

To be fair,  my son brought an ATV back with him from Arizona. He used it when he hunted. He left it here on the farm for a couple of years.  I would use it from time to time to keep from walking so much.  Also hauled out a couple of deer with it and put a sprayer on it to kill multi-floral rose bushes. He sold it to a friend with a couple of teenage boys.  One boy was giving his buddy a ride. When he went up a steep band it rolled it over backwards.  He walked away with a broken arm.

We rent our pasture out to two brother farmers.  They check and feed their heifers every day.  Many times they use one or two ATVs because there live across and down the valley only about a mile away as the crow flies but about a 10 mile drive to go by road.  They have permission to cross through two farms to get to ours.  You'll never hear them run them over a putt, putt, putt.  They use them to do all kinds of farm chores. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Warren

Folks,

(beware, rant follows...)

I spent 15 years in EMS.  In our rural county of 12,000 people we average 2 to 3 ATV fatalities each year. Every year, at least one victim is a child who was not wearing a helmet.  Lemme tell ya, as an EMT, it is absolutely no fun working on a dead child. And it is even less fun working on a child who died in an ATV accident when you know that a $100  helmet probably would have saved their life...   

I'm not talking about drunks doing face-plants into a tree at 60 mph.  A 12 y.o. girl bouncing off of the back of grandpa's ATV while checking cows landed head first on a rock. A toddler hit a fence post head first when dad lost control of the new ATV he was showing off. 

If adults want to ride without a helmet, so be it.  They are adults.  They can make adult decisions.  But letting a child ride a $4,000 to $6,000 machine without spending $100 for a decent helmet...  I just can't understand...

To me the only thing worse than being an EMT working on a dead child would be to be the parent of a child who died on an ATV and knowing I could have prevented my child's death by spending an additional $100 for a properly fitted helmet and enforcing it's use...

(end of rant...)

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

KarenKae

Follow up on the husband doing donuts.
He has LEARNED his lesson.. no more donuts.  Helmet when riding down the road, ( no helmet ok on chores near the house under 5 MPH) Shirt with sleeves and good riding shoes.
Of course he KNEW all this ahead of time, but this little spill has brought it home.
He was very sorry to have upset me and promises faithfully to be more careful.
As related,we live on 20 acres WAAAAY far from town, so had he been seriously hurt, it would have cost a lot to get him to a doctor.
So, he is forgiven, patched up and kissed to make it all better  :-*

Phorester

Good points, WARREN.  Further reinforces what we've been saying. Some accidents are un-preventable, most are preventable.

Thank You Sponsors!