iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ugly log sawn today

Started by nas, August 26, 2010, 09:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

Sawed a couple of ugly maples today.  Here is one on the mill.

Came out with some nice spalt.

Any of you southerners want to guess what animal made these holes?

Nick

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

mrcaptainbob

Not a Southerner, but my guess would be a 44?

sandhills

west penn

some fella with pancakes and syrup in mind?

medic1289

I'm goin with some guy with a tap, and for a fews years at that!
They do that up here too.  (Even if it turns out to be the 44!)
Again, syrup

ljmathias

Ugly?  Shoot, looks pretty straight to me and the lumber looks even better.  Would make some great shelves or cabinents.  Course, it depends on what you were looking for- me, I look for what I get and then figure out what to do with it.  If you have a use already in mind, you're more likely to be disappointed. Given the nature of wood, you get what you get... :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

bandmiller2

Uglyest logs make the cutest boards Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I had one of those, sold it to a bowl turner. He showed me a couple bowls out of it, just beautifull.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jeff

Be thankful you didn't come across an old cast iron spile while milling it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

nas

Quote from: Jeff on August 27, 2010, 02:12:55 PM
Be thankful you didn't come across an old cast iron spile while milling it.
Been there done that >:(  It's not so bad when they are aluminum.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

terrifictimbersllc

The spalted maple wood in your pictures would make certain of my former customers drool.  Seriously.  And I'm not talking about from old age or physical defect.  Just love of that kind of wood. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!