iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers out of pallet boards

Started by clintnelms, July 10, 2016, 02:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintnelms

Anyone ever used boards from pallets and made stickers out of them? I know they're not typically 1 inch thick, but I can get virtually an unlimited supply. I was thinking I could rip 1 inch strips off of them and use them. I think the boards on my pallets are about 3/4 inch thick. Just wanted to hear others thoughts on it.

DDW_OR

I cut my own from the scrap from the logs i cut.

I have never used Pallet wood, but it may stain the lumber.
"let the machines do the work"

WV Sawmiller

All my stickers come from my edgings or from scrap logs. I'll take a 3-4 foot top and rip into stickers. Actually, I use almost exclusively 3' long stickers to match my pallets. I cut up a bunch of odd 1' and 2' stickers out of broken ones and such for those oddball small stacks of lumber of slabs I generate along the way.

I'd think I could cut scrap and edgings faster and easier than cutting up old pallets and not have to worry about hitting nails and such and disposing of the other pallet remnants.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Air flow is the key to drying.  Much less than an inch would be sorta restrictive.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I think after you try pulling a few boards off pallets that you will change your mind.
They put them on to stay...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

clintnelms

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 10, 2016, 07:17:59 PM
I think after you try pulling a few boards off pallets that you will change your mind.
They put them on to stay...

I wouldn't be pulling them. I've got a buddy that sells pallets and he pulls the good boards from the bad pallets and has tons of boards already pulled. I just seem to always have to cut more stickers everytime and not have any that are already dry. So had just thought of the pallets one day and was wondering.

paul case

Wet boards and stickers that have metal fragments in them may cause blueing on your lumber.

I don't sticker that much lumber but I have always had enough from edging  to make what I need. I  would give you a log er 2 if you want to come get them to make stickers out of.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Czech_Made

Go for it if it's worth your time, but I am afraid there will be too many nails left and from what I have seen, the pallet  boards are far from uniform.

alanh

I was cutting them from scrap and flitches but patience isnt one of my strong points so one day I "sacrificed" a nice ash log and made a kijillion of them and put them on a pallet up on a rack, I`ll have enough for a while

clintnelms

Quote from: paul case on July 11, 2016, 09:34:39 PM
Wet boards and stickers that have metal fragments in them may cause blueing on your lumber.

I don't sticker that much lumber but I have always had enough from edging  to make what I need. I  would give you a log er 2 if you want to come get them to make stickers out of.

PC

Thanks Paul. I appreciate the offer. I'm in Southwest Georgia so I think I'm a bit far from ya. I'm down for a while because I just had carpal tunnel surgery a few weeks ago. Hopefully in a month or so I can get back to sawing. It's driving me nuts seeing my saw sitting there and can't use it. No one to help so I'll have to wait.

Magicman

It's too DanG hot to saw anyway.   smiley_sweat_drop
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red

Says the goat who has it made in the Shade
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Carson-saws

Stickers are tricky.  I have been told by buys not to sticker "their wood" at all.  Seems many times no matter what you may use,, be it dried stock or cut from stock the staining occurs. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

steamsawyer

I'd like to have the pallet wood to fire my boiler, sometimes I run short of slabs. I used  to almost exclusively burn pallet wood in my steamboat. Hot, clean, and not too much ash.
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

clintnelms

Quote from: Carson-saws on July 17, 2016, 11:10:24 PM
Stickers are tricky.  I have been told by buys not to sticker "their wood" at all.  Seems many times no matter what you may use,, be it dried stock or cut from stock the staining occurs.

A little confused on what you mean. Are you saying that some guys say not to sticker wood at all? To just stack it with no stickers? I don't really care about staining at this stage right now. Most lumber I'm making is for use on the farm for outdoor shelters and stuff. I'm too new at milling to be worried about stained lumber. I'm a ways from making lumber for furniture or anything.

clintnelms

Quote from: Magicman on July 17, 2016, 08:01:00 AM
It's too DanG hot to saw anyway.   smiley_sweat_drop

You are right about that! I don't even want to go out the house right now.

Carson-saws

clintnelms...yes...the buyers I have dealt with told me never to sticker "their" wood.  any other time the wood IS stickered.  Personally,  depending on species, grade, length and application, I will not always stick to "protocol" or "sticker standards"
  For what you are cutting for, like you said, your goals are to: learn more...what works for you...applications and I can say with confidence that pretty much everyone on this forum had to start somewhere.  So with your intentions and use in mind, in my opinion,  if you are building off the mill than no worries.  If you have the intention of "somewhat" drying the wood for your use than sway a bit from "sticker standards".  Again, as you gain your experience and find YOUR comfort zone build you knowledge you will enjoy you mill even more.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

YellowHammer

Some buyers and sellers won't sticker wood, as improper sticking will begin to leave zebra stain that is hard to clear.  It's much easier to coordinate the sawing time, dead stack, and then sticker properly when the packs get to the destination, where the dryer properly stickers them. I personally have bought many units of green wood from other sawyers and I always tell them not to sticker it. I also will coordinate their sawing times so I can get the dead stacked wood within a certain time window.   Stickered wood is also difficult and dangerous to transport on a trailer.  Sawing and dead stacking greatly depends on season and species and around here, the hardwood mills have a definate seasonal sawing rhythm.  For example, very few mills locally (including me) will saw red maple or poplar in July and August, and much prefer the dead of winter.  Oaks are summer sawing species, but do have a dead stack shelf life, while Walnut and cherry, which are extremely resistant to sticker stain, can be dead stacked for much longer before degrade begins.

If you are short on stickers, then it's time to chuck up a log or two and saw out a pallet full.  You can never have too many stickers.  I sticker 7 per row, 30 rows per pack, so 210 stickers per 840 Bdft pack.  I try to saw several packs a week after work, so even only 4 packs will take 840 stickers per week, and if air drying on a cycle time of 6 weeks, that comes to over 5,000 stickers in the rotation.  My point is that sawing stickers isn't fun, but it's part of the game.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

clintnelms

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Makes a lot of sense.

Thank You Sponsors!