iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

governing options

Started by SCSawyer, July 24, 2016, 09:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

Guys I need input on my governing options on a I 6 ford engine, it has a serpentine belt so I figure a belt driven  Foley type is out of the question , and I'm not familiar with with electronic ones, can anyone make some simple cost effective solutions, thanks
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Joe Hillmann

I've never seen one in person but I have heard a governor made of a flap and and adjustable weight put in the air stream from the cooling fan(would only work on an engine with a belt driven fan without a clutch)

As the engine speeds up the fan makes a stronger wind which trys to move the flap farther which then reduces the throttle.  When the engine slows down the weaker wind doesn't push as hard on the flap which raises the throttle.  In theory it is pretty simple but in practice it probably requires some fine adjustment and possible a couple springs to even it out.

ozarkgem

can you add a v-belt pulley anywhere to put a governor on with?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ladylake

Maybe a cruise control off a old car?    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

Quote from: ladylake on July 25, 2016, 05:42:14 AM

May a cruise control off a old car?    Steve
This came to mind as well, way back I remember brother Kev adding an early one to dads 83 olds, worked pretty good as long as the foil strip stayed on the shaft.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Gearbox

I am running a Adiovox cruise on my motorcycle . Runs off coil pulses and has a Nalgene water bottle for a vacuum reservor. you could run the foley off the back side of the serpentine by gluing a vee belt to the pully
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ox

The flap in the fan wind would work nicely probably.  I have an old Allis Chalmers push mower from the 60s and the 3.5hp Briggs engine has this type of governor and it works flawlessly.  A free turning pivot, a small spring and a linkage is all that's needed.  I guess I'd make the flapper out of some aluminum flashing so you could bend it all over to get the right resistance.  Sounds like a fun project!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

SCSawyer

Update ! I picked up a belt driven governor today free ! Now to figure out how to get it to bolt up and mount on my power unit , still have the problem of serpentine versus v belt . But I am one step further than I was 😁

SCSawyer

Well , found a place on the engine to mount the governor but no idea where or how to get a belt on, and can I say that figuring out the linkage may take a call to Einstein his self ! Don't know what to do.

Chop Shop

A pulley can be added to the alternator easily.

You have a serp pulley on the alt now. 

You need a vbelt pulley to tap for the gov.

Got to the wrecking yard and get a vbelt alt pulley off of the same kinda engine but older.

Now enlarge the vbelt pulleys center hole.   It will need to big enough to pass a socket thru large enough to remove the pulley nut.

Now set the vbelt (same diameter cuz they spin the same ratio) on the outer edge of the serp pulley and tack weld it together in a dozen or so places working your way around.

Now you have a double row pulley that is serp in the rear and vbelt out front and the hole in the outer pulley is large enough to still remove/install it.

It would take an OK tinkerer about an hour to accomplish aside from the wrecking yard trip.

90 percent of ALL V8/straight6 alternators ford/chev/dodge have the same diameter alt pulley so most folks would not have to even leave home if you have a parts pile out back.

Gearbox

Glue a vee belt to the pully and set it tight to the outside of the [ flat] belt . it takes very little power to run the governer . just run it like a idler .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Kbeitz

Quote from: Gearbox on July 27, 2016, 08:08:06 AM
Glue a vee belt to the pully and set it tight to the outside of the [ flat] belt . it takes very little power to run the governer . just run it like a idler .

Or a BIG FAT O-ring...

What ever you do make sure it's fail safe.
If the gov stops turning the engine will run wild.
On my steam engines there is a third pulley that
runs on the belt. if the belt breaks the pulley moves
and shuts down the engine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dblair

I bought a cruise control for 150 back in 1994 because they didn't offer one . it's now 220 it will work just fine for a governor .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Thank You Sponsors!