iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing WM hydaulic oil

Started by wolf nemeth, July 28, 2016, 11:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf nemeth

Once again I am asking a question that is probably intuitively obvious to  most  WM owners.......where do I drain the hydraulic fluid for the entire system?     I see what appears to be a plug near the bottom of the main pump reservoir , but it's about a half inch from the (immovable) wall of the hydraulics box.  I'd never get that plug back on......and the fluid would run all over the box.   Any advice?
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Brucer

Is there a large hole in the bottom of the hydraulics box? If so, crawl under there and look up (or use a mirror ;D).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

MartyParsons

Hello,
  The manual states;  1.
Check the hydraulic fluid level every fifty hours of operation. Add fluid as necessary. The level  in  the  hydraulic  pump  should  be  3/4"  (19mm)  from  the  top  with  all  cylinders  collapsed. If humidity is a problem or the mill is used outside in humid weather, drain and replace two quarts  (.95  liters)  of  fluid  every  six  months.  This  will  drain  any  accumulated  water  and help prevent pump failure due to water ingestion. It also will prevent excessive fluid wear and allow the fluid to maintain its hot end performance. If humidity is not a problem, drain and replace one gallon (3.8 liters) of fluid every year to prevent fluid wear.
Replace the hydraulic system cartridge filter every 500 hours of operation.
Inspect the hydraulic pump motor brushes every 750 hours of operation. Remove brush
dust and replace the brushes if they wornto a length of 1/4" (6mm) or shorter.
CAUTION!
Do not operate the hydraulic system if the pump motor brushes are worn shorter than 1/4" (6mm). Damage to the pump motor may result.
Periodically check all hydraulic lines and fitting as needed. Replace as necessary.

Here is what you can do if I need to change the hydraulic oil. I remove the hose attached to the toe board and place the hose in the bucket. Run the hydraulics until you get about 1 gal in the bucket. Replace the oil. You could run the pump until you hear it suck air then add oil. Of course replace the hose to the cylinder when you have cycled out the oil.
If the pump was in high moisture areas then it would be best to remove the plug at the bottom of the hydraulic res. and see if there is any water at the bottom or the oil is milky. This would be after the mill has not be in operation for a few hours.
I worked on a mill that was under water during a flood. I removed the drain plug and drained the oil and water. Removed the motors and cleaned them. New oil added and it all worked like it should.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!